Dumbarton 4 - 2 East Fife 

League - Second Division
Saturday, March 19th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Attendance: 615
Referee: Stevie OReilly
Dumbarton v East Fife, Mar 19th 2011, Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Dumbarton  East Fife

Andy Geggan (39)
Jon McShane (51)
Mark Gilhaney (68)
Jon McShane (77)
Robert Linn (27)
Craig Johnstone (61)

Team Managers
Alan Adamson Unknown.

Starting Eleven
Stephen Grindlay
Paul Nugent
Ben Gordon
Iain Chisholm
Martin McNiff
James Creaney
Andy Geggan
Ryan McStay
Mark Gilhaney
Jon McShane
Pat Walker
Michael Brown
John Ovenstone
David Muir
Jonathan Smart
Dylan McGowan
Mark McCulloch
Matthew Park
Lloyd Young
Steven Hislop
Robert Linn
Craig Johnstone

Michael White
Tony Wallace
Ross Campbell
Craig McLeish
Jordan White
Dean Lyness
Scott Durie
Shaun Fagan
Stuart Cargill
Ryan Wallace

Jordan White for Pat Walker (80)
Ross Campbell for Jon McShane (90)
Ryan Wallace for Steven Hislop (46)

Ryan McStay (62)
Jordan White (83)
Jonathan Smart (60)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 218 apps -
Paul Nugent 26 apps -
Ben Gordon 106 apps7 goals
Iain Chisholm 82 apps5 goals
Martin McNiff 42 apps1 goal
James Creaney 18 apps -
Andy Geggan 158 apps9 goals
Ryan McStay 65 apps3 goals
Mark Gilhaney 21 apps8 goals
Jon McShane 24 apps10 goals
Pat Walker 16 apps7 goals
Ross Campbell (sub) 19 apps1 goal
Jordan White (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jon McShane (19 years 191 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 13 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 255 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Campbell (13 years 30 days)
Oldest Player:Craig McLeish (41 years 87 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 19 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Jon McShane reached 10 goals for the Club.
Jon McShane reached 10 goals for the Club.

IN a match which began scrappily, but turned into an end-to-end encounter in the second half, Dumbarton beat East Fife 4-2 at SHS, re-establishing their strong recent form.

Interim manager Alan Adamson said: "The game against East Fife was another where you could maybe say we would have lost earlier this season. We were a bit shaky in the first half but came into it in the later stages, and the equaliser gave us a foothold in the game. We just said to the players to carry on what they were doing in the second half and they did that emphatically."

It took both teams a while to settle in and find their pace. On 7 minutes it looked as if Pat Walker had found Jon McShane in space inside the East Fife box, only for the big number 9 to lose his footing just as the ball came in.

Moments later Sons' Stephen Grindlay pulled off a polished, diving save from a dangerous and low incoming cross at the other end.

Mark Gilhaney, Pat Walker and Jon McShane all looked threatening up front for Dumbarton, but the home team's long balls and occasional uncertainty in midfield conceded possession too often.

Sons gradually began to impose themselves on the game, despite a couple of stoppages, but could not find a breakthrough.

Then on 27 minutes a slip in the area by defender Iain Chisholm allowed the Fifers' Bobby Lynn to twist, turn and slot the ball efficiently past Grindlay. 1-0 to the visitors.

A quick switch of wings over to Gilhaney, a cut inside and a sharply-angled shot from the busy number 7 almost pulled Sons level, but Michael Brown in the East Fife goal was equal to the task as the home side began to rediscover their fluency.

Two corners followed and Dumbarton continued to pile on the pressure. Ryan McStay came close again. Then on 41 minutes Andy Geggan equalised for Sons with a beautifully flighted header, lobbing the East Fife keeper from an acute angle on the edge of the penalty box.

In the second half, Dumbarton began with determination, but East Fife pushed back. Then on 51 minutes Jon McShane let loose a superb, driving shot from 20 yards. It flew past Brown's despairing hands and into the far corner of the net to put Sons 2-1 in front.

Another fine passing move from midfield ten minutes later put Martin McNiff through. He manfully fought off his marker, but could not quite steady himself before the shot, which fizzled wide on the right.

Then just as Dumbarton began to look well in control, East Fife broke forward, and finding himself with plenty of space, Craig Johnstone struck a commanding volley past Grindlay to make it 2-2.

Sons did not give up, however. On 68 minutes Pat Walker burst through after a lucky break. He looked set to shoot, but seeing Brown advancing fast chose instead to sweep the ball out to Mark Gilhaney, who steamed it into the bottom corner of the Fifers' goal to restore Dumbarton's lead at 3-2.

It got better for Sons on 77 minutes, as Jon McShane latched on to another sharp Sons attacking move, placing a swinging ball past the visitors' keeper. It was 4-2 to Dumbarton, and a deserved second goal for the industrious striker who was named sponsor's man of the match.

The victory gives Sons renewed impetus and confidence for the vital remaining eight games of the season.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet