Airdrieonians 2 - 1 Dumbarton

League - Second Division
Saturday, April 16th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Excelsior Stadium
Attendance: 773
Referee: Steve Conroy
Airdrieonians v Dumbarton, Apr 16th 2011, Excelsior Stadium
Airdrieonians Dumbarton 

Scott Sally (76)
Scott Morton (81)
Jordan Halsman (16)

Team Managers
Unknown. Alan Adamson

Starting Eleven
Mark Ridgers
Paul Lovering
Jamie Bain
Kieran Stallard
Ryan McCord
Graeme Owens
Rhys Devlin
Phil Johnston
Scott Gemmill
Scott Morton
Gary Mackay-Steven
Michael White
Ben Gordon
Jordan Halsman
James Creaney
Nicky Devlin
Paul Nugent
Andy Geggan
Mark Gilhaney
Ryan McStay
Pat Walker
Jordan White

Adam Szpilcynski
David Shaw
Nathan Blockley
Scott Sally
Jamie Stevenson
Stephen Grindlay
Martin McNiff
Derek Carcary
Craig McLeish
Kieran Brannan

Scott Sally for Scott Gemmill (72)
Jamie Stevenson for Graeme Owens (79)
Nathan Blockley for Gary Mackay-Steven (90)
Derek Carcary for Jordan White (72)
Craig McLeish for Ryan McStay (86)

Scott Gemmill (34)
Gary Mackay-Steven (71)
Nicky Devlin (28)
Paul Nugent (42)
James Creaney (57)
Ryan McStay (68)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Michael White (GK) 17 apps -
Nicky Devlin 22 apps -
Paul Nugent 31 apps -
Ben Gordon 111 apps7 goals
Jordan Halsman 11 apps2 goals
James Creaney 23 apps -
Ryan McStay 70 apps3 goals
Andy Geggan 163 apps10 goals
Mark Gilhaney 26 apps9 goals
Pat Walker 21 apps8 goals
Jordan White 6 apps -
Derek Carcary (sub) 95 apps23 goals
Craig McLeish (sub) 11 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (17 years 185 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Nugent (28 years 19 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 131 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (17 years 185 days)
Oldest Player:Craig McLeish (41 years 115 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 132 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


DUMBARTON were in the end well beaten by Airdrie United in a tough contest at the Excelsior Stadium, going down 2-1 to a second half resurgence from the home side having led 1-0 at the break.

With both teams keen to secure points and goals for their respective ambitions at either end of the table, the opening quarter hour of the game was an edgy affair.

Airdrie United had more of the initial play. With Dumbarton looking unsettled at the back, they threatened on several occasions. Phil Johnston, in particular, made a number of darting, angled runs.

At the other end, Sons occasionally harried their opponents, but without creating much more than a half chance for the vigilant Pat Walker.

Then on 16 minutes Jordan Halsman broke the deadlock for Dumbarton with a delightfully struck free-kick from the edge of the Diamonds' penalty area, just after the home side had failed to capitalise on a similar dead-ball situation at the other end of the park. 1-0 to Sons.

Moments later, United's Scott Morton connected with a chipped ball from near the corner flag, but his header flew past Sons 'keeper Michael White's far post.

The match tipped back and forth for the remainder of the half. Ryan McCord went close for the Diamonds just after the half hour, but Dumbarton pressed back with increasing determination beginning to control the match in midfield and looking more secure at the back, before suddenly wavering again under several late waves of attack.

Graeme Owens won a free-kick for Airdrie in an almost perfect central position minutes before the break. But fortunately for Sons, he hit the ball well over the bar.

Michael White pulled off two superb stops early in the second period, preventing United from getting back into the game, after the home side restarted with energy and purpose. For the first save he tipped a sharply-angled shot just off the near post. Then moments later he dived to block a close range effort on the ground.

In between, Pat Walker burst through the centre for Sons, attempting to chip Diamonds' Mark Ridgers at pace, but lobbing just too high. Jordan White had another chance denied by the home side's 'keeper not long after.

Meanwhile, at the other end, Dumbarton were increasingly riding their luck as the Airdrie United resurgence continued apace. Johnston struck wildly at one opportunity, several goalmouth scrambles ended in chances going begging, and another long free-kick from the far side was skied over Sons' bar.

In an open game, both sides continued to create chances. Nicky Devlin, James Creaney and Ben Gordon made good clearances for Sons, and White again stopped McCord who turned out to be just offside.

The Diamonds continued to come forward in strength as Dumbarton clung on to their single goal lead tenaciously. A contentiously awarded free-kick 30 yards out gave McCord another opportunity, but he struck the ball safely into the Sons' keeper's arms.

Coming on to replace number 9 Jordan White with nearly 20 minutes to go, Dumbarton substitute Derek Carcary nearly made an instant impact. Latching on to a ball worked out of a throw-in, he placed it with power, and high to Ridgers' right, inching it just over.

Then a double disaster struck Dumbarton. On 76 minutes, Airdrie substitute Scott Sally came charging in for a high cross. Michael White mistimed his run out, and the Diamonds' striker nudged in an equaliser with his shoulder.

The ball was in the back of the Dumbarton net again four minutes later, as Scott Martin bundled in from close range after McCord had been given free range on the far side. 2-1 to Airdrie United.

Sons pushed back. Craig McLeish came on for Ryan McStay, but the visitors had run out of time.

The result leaves Sons still fighting to keep out of the relegation play-offs, albeit with a six-point advantage over Stenhousemuir, who have a superior goal difference, with three games each still to play.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet