Brechin City 3 - 3 Dumbarton

League - Second Division
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Glebe Park
Attendance: 427
Referee: Des Roache
Brechin City v Dumbarton, Aug 20th 2011, Glebe Park
Brechin City Dumbarton 

Gary Fusco (47)
Paul McManus (52) Pen
David McKenna (56)
Scott Agnew (10)
Jamie Lyden (27)
Scott Agnew (88)

Team Managers
Jim Weir Alan Adamson

Starting Eleven
Craig Nelson
Michael Dunlop
Scott Buist
Gerry McLaughlan
Paul McLean
Neil Janczyk
Craig Molloy
Charlie King
Paul McManus
David McKenna
Derek Carcary
Jamie Ewings
Martin McNiff
Alan Lithgow
Jamie Lyden
James Creaney
Kevin Nicoll
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Martin McBride
Bryan Prunty
Pat Walker

David Scott
Garry Brady
Graham Weir
Gary Fusco
David McClune
Ross Meldrum
Paul Nugent
Ryan Metcalf
David Winters
Kieran Brannan

Gary Fusco for Charlie King (34)
David McClune for Scott Buist (46)
Graham Weir for Paul McManus (72)
Paul Nugent for Bryan Prunty (54)
Kieran Brannan for Martin McBride (73)
David Winters for Pat Walker (80)

Michael Dunlop (88) Martin McNiff (41)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 3 apps -
Alan Lithgow 6 apps -
Jamie Lyden 4 apps1 goal
James Creaney 28 apps -
Martin McNiff 50 apps1 goal
Kevin Nicoll 5 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 35 apps10 goals
Scott Agnew 6 apps3 goals
Martin McBride 4 apps -
Bryan Prunty 5 apps1 goal
Pat Walker 29 apps10 goals
Paul Nugent (sub) 40 apps -
David Winters (sub) 17 apps5 goals
Kieran Brannan (sub) 47 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (17 years 324 days)
Oldest Player:Bryan Prunty (28 years 227 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 140 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (17 years 324 days)
Oldest Player:Ross Meldrum (41 years 241 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 91 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Martin McNiff played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Jamie Lyden scored his first goal for the Club.

SONS salvaged a point at Glebe Park in a thrilling 3-3 draw against promotion favourites Brechin City but squandered a two-goal first half lead in the process.

Boss Alan Adamson said of the game: "We fought hard in a game we really didn't deserve to lose.

"Whilst I've got to be disappointed at losing a two-goal lead, the lads fought back well under the circumstances and it's good to get a point posted on the board."

The gaffer wielded his selection axe by dropping skipper Paul Nugent to the bench whilst goalie Stephen Grindlay was unavailable because of a prior engagement. Martin McNiff took up centre-half duties and the captain's armband was handed to Bryan Prunty.

Brechin were first to threaten with ex-Son Derek Carcary showing Jamie Lyden a clean pair of heels to burst through after just three minutes, however the pacy winger's finish was weak and Ewings pulled off a comfortable save.

Nelson saved a low shot from Prunty and McManus could easily have had the home side ahead on 10 minutes but his shot was saved well by Ewings.

One minute later Sons took the lead. Scott Agnew blasted home a Prunty feed and the Prestwick man showed his delight by celebrating enthusiastically with his team-mates!

Ewings again saved well from City's McKenna and on the half-hour Sons doubled their lead. An Agnew free-kick was glanced home by youngster Jamie Lyden to give Dumbarton a deserved half-time cushion.

However, things started to go wrong at the start of the second period. First, after just a minute from the re-start, Brechin sub Gary Fusco took advantage of a slack clearance to fire home and then on 51 minutes, City drew level.

A characteristic burst from midfield by Carcary caught Sons defence napping, and Lithgow saw red after denying him a goalscoring opportunity.

And to run salt in the wound, referee Des Roache awarded a penalty. McManus equalised from the spot by sending Ewings the wrong way.

Manager Adamson changed tactics by withdrawing Prunty and sending on Nugent, and with two banks of four and Pat Walker up front, Sons managed to get organised quickly.

However, Brechin completed a mighty comeback by grabbing the lead in 56 minutes following a dreadful mistake by Martin McBride.

The game lurched back and forth in the closing stages and it was another ex-Son, Mick Dunlop, who helped Dumbarton salvage a point.

His 88th minute foul earned him a booking, allowing Scott Agnew to fire home an outrageous 25-yard free-kick and Sons first point of the season was secured.

Match report by Alan Findlay

Programme cover / Team sheet