Stenhousemuir 3 - 1 Dumbarton

League - Second Division
Saturday, October 15th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Ochilview
Attendance: 529
Referee: David Somers
Stenhousemuir v Dumbarton, Oct 15th 2011, Ochilview
Stenhousemuir Dumbarton 

Andy Rodgers (29)
Ross McMillan (45)
Ross McMillan (77)
Scott Agnew (85)

Team Managers
Davie Irons Alan Adamson

Starting Eleven
Chris McCluskey
Martyn Corrigan
Willy Lyle
Colin Hamilton
Ross McMillan
Brown Ferguson
Stevie Murray
Ian Thomson
Sean Dickson
Stewart Kean
Andy Rodgers
Stephen Grindlay
Paul Nugent
Alan Lithgow
Ross McKinnon
Martin McNiff
James Creaney
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Kevin Nicoll
Bryan Prunty
Pat Walker

Alistair Brown
Joe McCafferty
Shaun Fraser
Paul Quinn
Jack Hamilton
Jamie Ewings
Tony Wallace
Ryan Borris
Graeme Ramage
Kieran Brannan

Paul Quinn for Andy Rodgers (84)
Jack Hamilton for Brown Ferguson (90)
Ryan Borris for Ross McKinnon (71)
Kieran Brannan for Martin McNiff (90)
Tony Wallace for Kevin Nicoll (90)

Andy Rodgers (59)
Willy Lyle (79)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 228 apps -
Paul Nugent 44 apps -
Alan Lithgow 9 apps -
Ross McKinnon 3 apps -
Martin McNiff 55 apps1 goal
James Creaney 32 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 40 apps11 goals
Scott Agnew 11 apps4 goals
Kevin Nicoll 10 apps1 goal
Bryan Prunty 10 apps7 goals
Pat Walker 34 apps10 goals
Tony Wallace (sub) 10 apps -
Ryan Borris (sub) 88 apps7 goals
Kieran Brannan (sub) 51 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross McKinnon (19 years 10 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 223 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 47 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross McKinnon (19 years 10 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 223 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 188 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


DUMBARTON lost 3-1 to a well-organised Stenhousemuir side in a disappointing game on a dark afternoon, with play significantly impacted by a swirling wind in both halves.

In the early stages of the first half the home team had more of the play and looked like creating more chances. But it was Sons' Ross McKinnon, a busy presence until substituted later in the match, who had the first real opportunity his firm shot going just over the bar.

The Warriors' no. 9, Stewart Kean, burst through two minutes later, but he was stopped by Alan Lithgow's solid, well timed tackled. In another raid shortly afterwards he came close with a header.

Just past the quarter hour Dumbarton launched a promising attack. However, Pat Walker, surrounded by Stenny defenders, could not quite latch on to the ball to open up the opposition.

Sean Dickson had a good opportunity for the Warriors on 24 minutes, but his shot went comfortably past Stephen Grindlay's far post. Kean went close once more for the home side, his attempt forced out by the vigilant Sons 'keeper.

Stenhousemuir were 1-0 in front on 29 minutes. Iain Thomson eluded Mark Gilhaney as a Dumbarton attack broke down following another attempt by McKinnon. On the swift counter attack ex-Son Andy Rodgers let loose a cracking shot from 12 yards. It flew into the top right-hand corner of Grindlay's net.

Sons struggled to get back into of the game as the ball seesawed from one end to the other. On 40 minutes Pat Walker chipped a delightful ball at Chris McCluskey in the Warriors' goal, only for the home keeper to tip it tantalisingly over the bar.

Then with literally the last touch of the first half, Ross McMillan headed home firmly from ex-Son Stevie Murray's inswinging corner, making it 2-0 to the hosts.

With the second half underway for only a minute, Dumbarton's Walker had the ball in the back of the Stenny net off a cross from Gilhaney. But the goal was disallowed for offside, and it was back to the drawing board for Sons in their efforts to get onto the score sheet.

The Warriors hit back straight away, with Rodgers narrowly forced out to the side as Grindlay dived in. For Dumbarton, Bryan Prunty and Mark Gilhaney combined well, with the former coming close.

As the half progressed, several attempts to move forward broke down in midfield for both sides, with Stenhousemuir nevertheless claiming the majority of possession.

On 57 minutes Murray found himself in front of the Dumbarton goal, but his shot went harmlessly into Grindlay's arms. However the diminutive attacker continued to pose a real threat from both wings.

Brown Ferguson struck well over the crossbar for the Warriors from a central position 18 yards out with 20 minutes still to go, shortly before Sons boss Alan Adamson pulled off McKinnon and brought on Ryan Borris.

Six minutes later it was 3-0 to Stenhousemuir. A swerving cross from Murray again set up Ross McMillan, who headed in powerfully from six yards.

A new sense of urgency entered Dumbarton's game, and on 85 minutes Martyn Corrigan fouled Bryan Prunty, setting up a free kick from 30 yards for Sons' Scott Agnew. His curling shot flew round the Warriors wall and into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Keiran Brannan and Tony Wallace came on for Martin McNiff and Kevin Nicoll in the last minute of the game, but Dumbarton were unable to score again in time added on, leaving Stenhousemuir to run out convincing 3-1 victors.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet