Stirling Albion 0 - 1 Dumbarton

League - Second Division
Saturday, October 29th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Forthbank Stadium
Attendance: 602
Referee: Matt Northcroft
Stirling Albion v Dumbarton, Oct 29th 2011, Forthbank Stadium
Stirling Albion Dumbarton 

None. Scott Agnew (84)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott Alan Adamson

Starting Eleven
Sam Filler
Sean Dillon
Brian Allison
Gary Thom
Devon Jacobs
Alan Cook
John Crawley
Marc McCulloch
Dale McSorley
Darren Smith
Scott Davidson
Stephen Grindlay
Paul Nugent
Alan Lithgow
Ross McKinnon
Martin McNiff
James Creaney
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Kevin Nicoll
Bryan Prunty
Pat Walker

William Kerr
Craig McLeish
Steven Nicholas
Joshua Flood
Sean Fagan
Jamie Ewings
Tony Wallace
Ryan Borris
David Winters
Kieran Brannan

Joshua Flood for Dale McSorley (70)
Sean Fagan for Alan Cook (73)
Ryan Borris for Ross McKinnon (66)
David Winters for Pat Walker (66)

None. Kevin Nicoll (22)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 231 apps -
Paul Nugent 47 apps -
Alan Lithgow 12 apps -
Ross McKinnon 6 apps1 goal
Martin McNiff 58 apps1 goal
James Creaney 35 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 43 apps12 goals
Scott Agnew 14 apps6 goals
Kevin Nicoll 12 apps1 goal
Bryan Prunty 13 apps7 goals
Pat Walker 37 apps10 goals
Ryan Borris (sub) 89 apps7 goals
David Winters (sub) 23 apps6 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross McKinnon (19 years 24 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 237 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 61 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross McKinnon (19 years 24 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 237 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 53 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


DUMBARTON secured a vital three points in an uneven match against Stirling Albion, leaving Doubletree Dunblane Stadium with a 1-0 victory, thanks to a late goal from Scott Agnew.

Both sides came out with a positive attitude, seeking to take the game to their opponents. The first real chance fell to the Binos, but Stephen Grindlay not for the last time was up to the challenge, pushing the ball round the post.

Though the early pressure was from Stirling, Sons dominated large chunks of play during the first half. But they struggled to turn possession into convincing chances, or to capitalise on opportunities in front of goal when they arose.

Bryan Prunty and Mark Gilhaney put together a threatening looking move that fizzled out for a corner.

Pat Walker flashed a shot in on 14 minutes, with Albion 'keeper Sam Filler parrying it and collecting the rebound.

Then Prunty found himself in a fine central position with his back to goal, but couldn't quite turn in time.

Later in the half he and Walker put themselves in a promising two-on-one situation. The big centre forward's high shot was artfully helped over the bar by Filler.

In the second half Stirling Albion came out with renewed determination and, as the rain began to fall more heavily, started to look menacing.

Sons remained well organised in defence, however, and began to reassert their line in the middle of the park. But in moving from midfield to attack, the final ball was lacking.

Gilhaney found himself cruelly blocked in front of goal after a flowing Sons move from back to front, coming just short of the hour, looked as if it might produce the much-needed breakthrough.

Seven minutes later Prunty headed over. Then a tame shot at the other end slipped through Grindlay's hands, but he recovered well to collect short of the line.

When Darren Smith raced clear for the Binos he found himself with only Kevin Nicoll to beat. But the Sons defender timed his tackle perfectly to deflect the threat, as the game began to surge from end to end.

Both sides tried to shake the pack in the closing stages. Ross McKinnon and Pat Walker gave way to Ryan Borris and David Winters for Dumbarton on 66 minutes.

Then ex-Sons Daly McSorley and Alan Cook were replaced by the visitors' Joshua Flood and Shaun Fagan, respectively.

Winters had a penalty appeal turned down for Dumbarton when he appeared to have been dragged down in the Albion box. However referee Matt Northcroft waved play on with no hesitation.

Then on 84 minutes, just as the match started to look like a certain nil-nil stalemate, Scott Agnew broke the deadlock. He latched on to a loose ball at the end of a goalmouth scramble and finally beat the impressive looking Filler, whose outstretched arm reached the shot but could not contain it.

The visiting fans exploded with joy. On the pitch the game also burst into a final flourish of life, with both teams desperate for points.

Only a remarkable last-minute, point-blank block and save by Grindlay preserved the lead for Sons until the final whistle.

The visitors looked good for the victory overall, but their lack of effectiveness in the final third could have cost them at least two of the three points.

At the other end, Dumbarton have now achieved three clean sheets on the road in the league, but none at home so far this season.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet