Dumbarton 0 - 4 Dundee 

League Cup - 1st Round
Saturday, July 30th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Attendance: 870
Referee: John Beaton
Dumbarton v Dundee, Jul 30th 2011, Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Dumbarton  Dundee

None. Steven Milne (48)
Jamie McCluskey (67)
Steven Milne (73)
Matthew Lockwood (84) Pen

Team Managers
Alan Adamson Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
Stephen Grindlay
Paul Nugent
Alan Lithgow
Jamie Lyden
Scott Agnew
Martin McBride
Kevin Nicoll
Mark Gilhaney
Kieran Brannan
Bryan Prunty
Graeme Ramage
Robert Douglas
Rhys Weston
Matthew Lockwood
Craig McKeown
Gary Irvine
Ross Chisholm
Stephen O'Donnell
Jamie McCluskey
Steven Milne
Leighton Mcintosh
Ryan Conroy

Jamie Ewings
Tony Wallace
Robert Connolly
Ryan Metcalf
Adam Monaghan
John Gibson
Neil McGregor
Kyle Benedictus
Jake Hyde
Nicky Riley

Tony Wallace for Martin McBride (68)
Ryan Metcalf for Graeme Ramage (73)
Adam Monaghan for Kevin Nicoll (82)
Nicky Riley for Jamie McCluskey (71)
Jake Hyde for Leighton McIntosh (77)

Mark Gilhaney (60)
Paul Nugent (83)
Stephen O'Donnell (63)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 225 apps -
Jamie Lyden 2 apps -
Paul Nugent 36 apps -
Alan Lithgow 2 apps -
Scott Agnew 2 apps -
Martin McBride 2 apps -
Kevin Nicoll 2 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 31 apps10 goals
Graeme Ramage 2 apps -
Kieran Brannan 44 apps1 goal
Bryan Prunty 2 apps1 goal
Tony Wallace (sub) 7 apps -
Ryan Metcalf (sub) 6 apps -
Adam Monaghan (sub) 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (17 years 303 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 146 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 128 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (17 years 303 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 146 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 162 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Adam Monaghan(Signed )


DUMBARTON went out of the 2011/12 Scottish Communities League Cup at the first hurdle.

But even though they lost 4-0 to Dundee on a sunny afternoon at the Rock, they played well, especially in the first half.

Despite residing in the first and second divisions respectively, there was little to separate the Dark Blues and the Sons in the initial 45 minutes.

The game began at a lively pace, and the first clear chance fell to the home team on eight minutes when an overlapping Jamie Lyden had his shot set up from a glittering run by Mark Gilhaney.

Both teams passed the ball around smoothly, seeking to control the game in the middle of the park. Not long after the quarter hour, with Sons showing more signs of promise but Dundee still looking menacing when they did venture forward, Gilhaney broke through again, but his effort was deflected wide.

Then at the other end a powerful drive from the Leighton McIntosh was well stopped by Stephen Grindlay, who made a number of important saves for Dumbarton throughout the game.

On 26 minutes a beautifully struck long free-kick from Scott Agnew found Bryan Prunty at Dundee's near post, but his strike flew across face of the goal and went inches wide of the upright.

Shortly afterwards a fine one-two combination from Kieran Brannan and Prunty found Martin McBride in front of goal, but he could not get a clean strike at the ball.

Dundee pressed hard at the Dumbarton defence towards the end of the half and had a couple of further opportunities, but the Sons kept shape at the back and went into the break deservedly on level terms.

The second half had barely got underway when the visitors took the lead and changed the shape of the game. On 47 minutes a ball nodded on by Jamie McLuskey after a short corner from Stephen O'Donnell found Steven Milne, who beat Sons captain Paul Nugent to it, volleying past Grindlay and high into the net.

The goal seemed to relieve a certain tension in Dundee's game, and they immediately sought to add to their tally.

But Dumbarton dug in and forced themselves back. A fine strike from the hard-working Scott Agnew flashed past the visitors' post. Then Brannan broke through but saw his shot stopped by Robert Douglas.

At the other end McCluskey threatened further damage to Sons, but skied his shot well over the bar, before Grindlay made a fine double stop first scraping the ball away from the feet of the approaching Ryan Conroy, then running it out to the sidelines.

Prunty had a strong penalty appeal turned down just on the hour, staying on his feet but then putting the ball wide past Douglas at the left post from deep inside the box. In the ensuing protests Gilhaney went into the referee's book.

Then Dundee increased their lead to 2-0 when McCluskey went on a fine individual run and struck an unstoppable shot past the Sons 'keeper.

The home team brought Tony Wallace on for McBride before another opportunity to hit back fell to Graeme Ramage. However his flying header from an inswinging cross went just wide.

On 72 minutes Milne made it 3-0 to Dundee, latching on to the ball 12 yards out and making no mistake with his strike. Ryan Metcalfe (for Ramage) and Adam Monaghan (for Kevin Nicoll) were brought on as Sons sought to alter the balance again.

A speculative shot from Brannan was well wide of the target. Then a penalty conceded by Alan Lithgow who gave an otherwise commanding performance on 83 minutes provided Dundee defender, assistant manager and set-piece specialist Matt Lockwood with the chance to make it 4-0. He made no mistake.

The final result did not reflect the quality and effort Dumbarton put into this League Cup match, but illustrated the significant difference that quick reactions and chances taken can make to a game.

In the end Dundee claimed the majority of possession and twice as many corners. Both sides had 17 attempts on goal, but the visitors had more on target.

Sons cup hopes now return to the second round Ramsdens tie at home to Berwick Rangers on Tuesday August 9.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet