Dumbarton 0 - 2 Berwick Rangers 

Challenge Cup - 2nd Round
Tuesday, August 9th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Attendance: 334
Referee: Craig Charleston
Dumbarton v Berwick Rangers, Aug 9th 2011, Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Dumbarton  Berwick Rangers

None. David Greenhill (55)
Lee Currie (89)

Team Managers
Alan Adamson Jimmy Crease

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Paul Nugent
Alan Lithgow
Martin McNiff
Adam Monaghan
Mark Gilhaney
Martin McBride
Scott Agnew
Bryan Prunty
Graeme Ramage
Pat Walker
Jamie Barclay
Chris McLeod
Chris Townsley
Lee Currie
Richard Walker
Stephen Thompson
David Greenhill
Paul Currie
Kevin McDonald
Stuart Noble
Damon Gray

Stephen Grindlay
James Creaney
Tony Wallace
Ryan Metcalf
Kieran Brannan
Jonathan Gallardo
Darren Smith
Andrew McLean
Darren Gribben
Elliot Smith

Kieran Brannan for Graeme Ramage (59)
Tony Wallace for Martin McBride (69)
Elliot Smith for David Greenhill (70)
Darren Gribben for Damon Gray (83)

Martin McNiff (60)
Tony Wallace (82)
Stephen Thompson (27)
David Greenhill (29)
Paul Currie (54)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 1 app (debut) -
Paul Nugent 38 apps -
Alan Lithgow 4 apps -
Martin McNiff 48 apps1 goal
Adam Monaghan 2 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 33 apps10 goals
Martin McBride 3 apps -
Scott Agnew 4 apps -
Bryan Prunty 3 apps1 goal
Graeme Ramage 4 apps -
Pat Walker 27 apps10 goals
Tony Wallace (sub) 8 apps -
Kieran Brannan (sub) 46 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Graeme Ramage (18 years 350 days)
Oldest Player:Bryan Prunty (28 years 216 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 249 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ryan Metcalf (18 years 129 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 156 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 338 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Jamie Ewings(Signed June 4th, 2011)


DUMBARTON went out of the Ramsdens Challenge Cup in the second round, following a dispiriting 2-0 defeat by Third Division opponents Berwick Rangers.

Manager Alan Adamson commented: "We just didn't turn up in the second half, which was disappointing - especially on top of Saturday's loss [against Airdrie United]."

Both sides probed at each other cautiously from the outset, with few early chances. A dangerous, inswinging 35-yard free-kick from Scott Agnew created Sons' first real opportunity on 7 minutes, but no one was able to get on the end of it.

Then on 12 minutes Bryan Prunty made his presence felt with a fine dipping half-volley from the right. Moments later, Pat Walker came rushing into the six-yard box in hot pursuit of a loose ball. But he could not quite get a connection as it slithered away.

Graeme Ramage and Martin McBride linked up well on the left on 18 minutes. Not for the first time, however, Sons were thwarted by a well-organised Borderers defence.

At the other end, Adam Monaghan made a strong, well-timed tackle before Berwick claimed two consecutive corners. The resulting scramble at the back was soon turned to Sons' advantage, as Walker and Mark Gilhaney broke at speed, with the latter being squeezed out near the goal line.

The Wee Gers' first real chance came on 23 minutes, when Lee Currie stroked the ball wide and to the left of Jamie Ewings in the Dumbarton goal.

The home side had more of the possession throughout the first period, but were unable to capitalise on this.

A weaving run from Berwick's Paul Currie unsettled the Sons defence. Scott Agnew then stole the ball in the middle of the field, but his distance punt did not trouble away 'keeper Jamie Barclay.

In probably the most stylish move of the half, Gilhaney put the overlapping Monaghan through, running onto the subsequent cross and flicking it goalward. However Barclay was just able to grab the ball.

The busy no.7 then turned provider for Walker, who nodded fractionally wide of Berwick's upright and corner on the right. Gilhaney looked the most consistently threatening Dumbarton player, but the Borderers' pacey left-back, Steven Thomson, often had the measure of him.

The returning Martin McNiff made an effective stop to prevent 'Gers striker Damon Gray getting a clear shot on goal.

McBride came closest to scoring for Sons towards the end of a generally lacklustre half, but his fast, downward header was blocked on the line.

Dumbarton came out with added urgency after the break, but the first opportunity fell to Berwick's Paul Currie, who struck well over the bar.

The game moved uncertainly back and forth between the teams for the first ten minutes of the second period.

Then on 55 minutes the Borderers' David Greenhill found himself completely unmarked as the ball came into Sons' six-yard box. He headed high into the top right-hand corner, leaving Ewings no chance. 1-0 to Berwick.

This proved to be the decisive moment in the game. Berwick gained visibly in confidence. Four minutes later Dumbarton replaced Ramage with Kiernan Brannan, who tried to push up field but found himself outnumbered.

For a resurgent Berwick, Lee Currie whipped a fierce ball in on goal from a free-kick 25 yards out, but it struck one of his own players to ricochet wide.

Sons looked increasingly forlorn in search of an equaliser, as their hopes of a Ramsdens quarter-final place began to fade. An adventurous overhead kick from Pat Walker provided a moment of excitement, but was tipped over by Barclay onto the top of the Berwick net.

On 69 minutes Tony Wallace came on for McBride, and Ryan Metcalfe replaced Walker on 83 minutes, as Dumbarton sought to reorganise themselves and regain momentum.

There were half chances at both ends, but Berwick looked sharper and keener. Scott Agnew had an effort at the near post, but his effort was tipped into the side netting. Meanwhile, Sons 'keeper Ewings made a good mid-height stop from Paul Currie.

A great swerve and shot from Mark Gilhaney was parried away, as he and Walker continued to press the Berwick back four.

In the end, the visitors wrapped up the match comfortably with a goal from Lee Currie shortly before the final whistle. He ran into space as 'Gers wheeled forward, slotting the ball confidently into the net from 12 yards out.

It was a disappointing night for Dumbarton in a game they were expected to win. But third division Berwick Rangers proved determined opponents and deserved their victory.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet