Livingston 5 - 0 Dumbarton

League - First Division
Saturday, September 29th, 2012, 3:00 PM at Almondvale
Attendance: 1,021
Referee: George Salmond
Livingston v Dumbarton, Sep 29th 2012, Almondvale
Livingston Dumbarton 

Marc McNulty (9)
Craig Barr (12)
Mark McNulty (36)
Callum Booth (65)
Keaghan Jacobs (77)

Team Managers
John Hughes Alan Adamson

Starting Eleven
Andrew McNeil
Craig Barr
Paul Watson
Jesus Tena Garcia
Ross Docherty
Keaghan Jacobs
Marc McNulty
Steven Scougall
Anthony Andreu
Iain Russell
Jordan Morton
Stephen Grindlay
Nicky Devlin
Alan Lithgow
Martin McNiff
Ross Forsyth
Chris Turner
Mark Lamont
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Jim Lister
Bryan Prunty

Darren Jamieson
Callum Fordyce
Dylan Easton
Ross Gray
Callum Booth
Jamie Ewings
James Creaney
Jamie Lyden
Phil Johnston
Steven McDougall

Callum Booth for Steven Scougall (64)
Dylan Easton for Jordan Morton (73)
Ross Gray for Iain Russell (79)
James Creaney for Martin McNiff (46)
Phil Johnston for Bryan Prunty (46)
Steven McDougall for Mark Lamont (85)

Craig Barr (60) Chris Turner (54)
Alan Lithgow (76)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 265 apps -
Nicky Devlin 31 apps -
Alan Lithgow 50 apps4 goals
Martin McNiff 88 apps3 goals
Ross Forsyth 4 apps -
Scott Agnew 50 apps13 goals
Garry Fleming 10 apps -
Chris Turner 1 app (debut) -
Mark Lamont 20 apps -
Jim Lister 10 apps4 goals
Bryan Prunty 50 apps19 goals
James Creaney (sub) 72 apps -
Phil Johnston (sub) 8 apps -
Steven McDougall (sub) 9 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (18 years 352 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 223 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 249 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (18 years 352 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 223 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 45 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Chris Turner(Signed August 30th, 2012)

Alan Lithgow played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Bryan Prunty played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Scott Agnew played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

DUMBARTON suffered their worst defeat of the season so far, away to Livingston at Almondvale, going down 5-0 and missing out on a penalty in the process.

Three goals for the home team before half time made a recovery for the visitors unlikely. A further two strikes after the break finished off a miserable afternoon for Dumbarton, who had their chances but once again were not able to take them.

Meanwhile, mistakes at the back cost Sons dear and the struggle in the middle of the park went decisively in the Lions' direction.

Boss Alan Adamson commented after the game: “Livi were quicker to every ball and made us pay for it. We have no excuses, the better team won the match.”

He added that he thought it was the first time the full gulf between part-time and full-time teams had really shown itself in the team's tough First Division campaign.

The first real chance of the game went to Dumbarton, with Chris Turner shooting from just outside the area. But his effort spun harmlessly wide.

Then suddenly, on just seven minutes, the visitors found themselves trailing. Ex-Son Iain Russell provided an assist for Marc McNulty, who fired a shot into to the bottom right corner of the net, following lax defensive work on the left.

Things got worse only four minutes later. First Martin McNiff cleared an Anthony Andreu corner, but then Craig Barr rose unmarked to head in a soft goal from inside the six-yard box.

Livingston were two up well inside the quarter hour and Dumbarton looked shell-shocked, with Nicky Devlin continuing to work the left flank virtually unaided.

Goal attempts from Bryan Prunty and Jim Lister went wide as Sons tried to press back. One of two direct free kicks by Scott Agnew, who had an industrious afternoon, forced a good save from Andrew McNeil in the Lions' goal.

Sons' best chance of getting straight back into the game came when Bryan Prunty was pushed to the ground in the area following a corner.

The referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty. Debutant Chris Turner stepped up for the spot kick, but his weak shot went wide of the post, to the frustration of the player himself and the travelling support.

At the other end, Jordan Morton came close for Livi. Just after the half hour Keaghan Jacobs took a shot, but Garry Fleming got in a decent block for Dumbarton.

On 36 minutes Livingston went 3-0 up. Once again, Russell was the provider as Marc McNulty stepped in to claim his brace with a well-taken shot into the left-hand corner of the goal.

Stephen Grindlay made important saves from Livi's Russell (an overhead effort) and Ross Docherty shortly afterwards. Morton came close again, while for Dumbarton a good Turner shot went wide of the right-hand upright.

Alan Lithgow made a significant interception before the break to prevent Sons going further behind.

As the match resumed after the interval, Phil Johnston replaced Prunty for Dumbarton, with McNiff giving way to James Creaney shortly afterwards – following a knock for the former.

Dumbarton began to make a few rash challenges in the middle of the park, desperate to grab back the initiative from a confident looking Livingston who were passing the ball with ease and looking half-a-yard sharper.

Sons did not give up. Indeed they almost struck back. Johnston volleyed a Scott Agnew free kick back across goal, and Turner latched onto the ball, striking the bar from just eight yards out.

Then on 65 minutes substitute Callum Booth, who had only been on the park for a few minutes, scored with his first touch of the ball, after Grindlay had blocked Russell. It was 4-0 to Livingston and effectively 'game over'.

Marc McNulty almost claimed a hat trick for the Lions when his free kick crashed against the bar. Minutes later Kheaghan Jacobs scored from a similar situation, as his shot spun over the Dumbarton wall and into the bottom corner of the net, with Grindlay unsighted. 5-0 to Livi.

With the home side having gone nap, Dumbarton continued to attack and still had chances.

McNeil made two outstanding saves to deny the visitors even a consolation goal. The first was a fingertip stop off a fine, glancing header by Chris Turner. The second came from a well-struck Scott Agnew free kick, which was otherwise destined for the net.

However, nothing but misery seemed destined for Dumbarton on a grim afternoon at the Broadwood Motor Stadium.

The performance overall was a disappointing one and leaves Sons with a huge amount of work to do to inject some hope into the 2012/13 league campaign.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info