Cowdenbeath 0 - 1 Dumbarton

League - First Division
Saturday, November 10th, 2012, 3:00 PM at Central Park
Attendance: 415
Referee: Mike Tumility
Cowdenbeath v Dumbarton, Nov 10th 2012, Central Park
Cowdenbeath Dumbarton 

None. Mark Gilhaney (29)

Team Managers
Colin Cameron

Starting Eleven
Thomas Flynn
David Cowan
Kenny Adamson
John Armstrong
Joe Mbu
Marc McKenzie
Albert Pugidollers
Mark Ramsey
Jamie Stevenson
Lewis Coult
Greg Stewart
Jamie Ewings
James Creaney
Martin McNiff
Andy Graham
Nicky Devlin
Scott Agnew
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Steven McDougall
Bryan Prunty
Jim Lister

Craig Wight
Dean Brett
Kyle Miller
Ruben Garcia-Rey
Colin Cameron
Stephen Grindlay
Jamie Lyden
Mark Lamont
Reece Pearson
Phil Johnston

Colin Cameron for Mark Ramsey (59) Mark Lamont for Steven McDougall (75)
Jamie Lyden for Bryan Prunty (90)

Mark Ramsey (50) James Creaney (45)
Chris Turner (73)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 16 apps -
Andy Graham 12 apps1 goal
Nicky Devlin 34 apps -
James Creaney 74 apps -
Martin McNiff 91 apps3 goals
Mark Gilhaney 84 apps20 goals
Chris Turner 6 apps -
Scott Agnew 55 apps13 goals
Bryan Prunty 55 apps22 goals
Jim Lister 15 apps7 goals
Steven McDougall 12 apps1 goal
Jamie Lyden (sub) 10 apps2 goals
Mark Lamont (sub) 24 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 29 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 265 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 102 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 29 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 265 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 2 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


IN a tense and competitive game at Central Park, Dumbarton finally broke their duck in the SFL First Division with a 1-0 win over Cowdenbeath.

It was very much a 'match of two halves', with Sons enjoying more of the game in the opening 45 minutes and the Blue Brazil coming back at them ferociously after the break.

Cowden got the game underway on a cold and damp afternoon in Fife. During the opening ten minutes there were half-chances for both sides, especially from corners and free kicks.

Gradually Dumbarton began to assert themselves in the middle of the park, moving the ball swiftly forward.

A good grab and cross from Scott Agnew, unusually with his right foot, gave Tom Flynn in the Cowden goal pause for thought, but it went just wide of the top left-hand corner of the net.

As Sons pushed hard against a well-organised home defence, there were two good opportunities to convert attacking momentum into progress on the score sheet.

First, a fine through ball from James Creaney played Steven McDougall in down the left wing. He cut into the area, but his final shot lacked power.

Then in the first of a series of corners during an intense period of Dumbarton pressure, Chris Turner had a free header in a central position eight yards out. He could not keep the ball down though. Soon after a header from Jim Lister was deflected wide.

At the other end, Cowden's Lewis Coult broke through, but had been flagged well offside by the time he pushed the ball into the net.

Sons struck back. A powerful drive from McDougall tested Flynn, who just held onto the ball to smother the danger as Lister rushed in.

Then on 29 minutes Dumbarton grabbed their vital goal the one that would end up deciding the game.

Steven McDougall's cross from the left flew across the face of the six-yard box. Mark Gilhaney arrived at the back post just in time to hit a low effort beyond the 'keeper and into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Taking the lead seemed to put an extra spring into Sons players' steps. Nicky Devlin looked as keen as ever to move the ball forward.

However, Cowdenbeath were not about to take the reverse lying down. A fast break almost caught the defence napping. Andy Graham, supported by Martin McNiff, made one of a number of important blocks.

Dumbarton counter-attacked swiftly after a Blue Brazil corner was cleared. The move put Jim Lister into a scoring position, as he fired straight at 'keeper Flynn. Another chance fell to McDougall minutes later, but he could not increase Sons' lead.

Before the break, Dumbarton goalie Jamie Ewings made a great stop from Coult once more.

It was always likely that Cowdenbeath would come back hard when the game resumed, and they certainly lived up to that expectation.

Coult proved to be the danger man again, as Ewings denied him a close-range scoring opportunity with his legs.

Whereas much of the traffic in the first half had been towards the Cowden end, in the second 45 minutes the process was reversed.

Concentration was required in the Sons back line as the home side began to string together some fast passing moves.

There were still chances for Dumbarton, nevertheless. A free kick on the edge of the area gave Scott Agnew the opportunity to try to catch 'keeper Flynn off guard, as he tweaked the ball in on the near post rather than aiming for Sons attackers running in on the far side. The ball skewed into the side netting, however.

Dumbarton had a golden opportunity to double their lead in the 66th minute after Joseph Mbu fouled Devlin in the area. The referee immediately pointed to the spot.

Bryan Prunty stepped up and struck the ball hard and low, just off-centre. The Cowdenbeath goalie anticipated the kick and dived to turn the ball away.

A scramble ensued, Gilhaney forced a corner, but the chance had gone.

The let-off immediately seemed to motivate Cowdenbeath, who came streaming forward once more, threatening to break a stretched Sons defence.

The visitors found themselves pinned back too far down the pitch. They were struggling to get the ball, and when they did they were giving it away too readily.

Only some heroic defending kept them in the game as Cowden threatened to score, and it sometimes seemed as if Sons were riding their luck.

With 20 minutes left, James Stevenson's 35-yard free-kick for the Blue Brazil forced an excellent save out of Jamie Ewings in the Dumbarton goal.

The final third of the match proved agonising for the small but loyal Sons away support. The ball kept coming back into the danger zone. Fears of missing out on another great chance to claim three points were hard to suppress.

Signs of anxiety were being displayed on the pitch, too. Dumbarton snatched at the ball instead of controlling it. But their determination saw them through.

Mark Lamont replaced Steven McDougall on 75 minutes, and immediately began to make an impression with some skilled overlapping runs and sharp interventions.

Cowdenbeath came close to equalising on several occasions. Marc McKenzie used his pace to get in behind Sons' defence and flash a shot across goal. Andy Graham stuck a leg out and pushed the ball over his own bar. Then Coult had a header turned away from ten yards.

In the dying embers of the game it felt as if everyone was looking at their watches, bar the referee.

Interim Dumbarton manager Jack Ross made a tactical substitution as the clock ran down, bringing on Jamie Lyden in place of Bryan Prunty on 93 minutes.

At last the whistle blew, and Sons fans could celebrate the team's first victory of the 2012/13 season. There was a sense of relief as much as joy for a job well done in a tough encounter.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet