Dunfermline Athletic 4 - 0 Dumbarton

League - First Division
Saturday, November 24th, 2012, 3:00 PM at East End Park
Attendance: 3,565
Referee: Des Roache
Dunfermline Athletic v Dumbarton, Nov 24th 2012, East End Park
Dunfermline Athletic Dumbarton 

Josh Falkingham (31)
Andy Graham (37) O.G.
Ryan Wallace (69) Pen
Joe Cardle (90)

Team Managers
Jim Jefferies Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Paul Gallacher
Andy Dowie
Jordan McMillan
Callum Morris
Ryan Thomson
Joe Cardle
Andy Geggan
Stephen Husband
Ryan Wallace
Josh Falkingham
Andy Kirk
Stephen Grindlay
Nicky Devlin
Alan Lithgow
Andy Graham
James Creaney
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Mark Lamont
Jim Lister
Bryan Prunty

Michal Hrivnak
John Potter
Andy Barrowman
Shaun Byrne
Craig Dargo
Jamie Ewings
Ross Forsyth
Martin McNiff
Garry Fleming
Steven McDougall

Craig Dargo for Ryan Wallace (72)
Shaun Byrne for Josh Falkingham (76)
Andy Barrowman for Andy Kirk (83)
Steven McDougall for Mark Gilhaney (59)
Ross Forsyth for James Creaney (65)
Jamie Ewings for Jim Lister (68)

Andy Dowie Chris Turner (68)

Red Cards
None. Stephen Grindlay (67)

Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 266 apps -
James Creaney 76 apps -
Nicky Devlin 36 apps -
Alan Lithgow 55 apps5 goals
Andy Graham 14 apps1 goal
Chris Turner 7 apps -
Scott Agnew 57 apps13 goals
Mark Lamont 26 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 86 apps20 goals
Jim Lister 17 apps7 goals
Bryan Prunty 57 apps23 goals
Jamie Ewings (sub) (GK) 18 apps -
Ross Forsyth (sub) 9 apps -
Steven McDougall (sub) 14 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 43 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 279 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 90 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 43 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 279 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 99 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


DEFENSIVE slips cost Dumbarton dear at East End Park this afternoon, as the visitors went down 4-0 to joint First Division leaders Dunfermline Athletic.

Sons put in a generally solid first half performance, and might even have taken the lead at one point. But then frailties at the back showed themselves, and the Pars began to show why they are strong contenders for the First Division title this season.

The game began quietly on a cold afternoon. There were free kicks for both sides as they tested each other, but no advantage gained from these.

On 7 minutes the home side's Ryan Wallace cut in and fired the ball across Stephen Grindlay in the Sons goal. The big 'keeper got down well to block and hold.

Dunfermline came to control more possession in the middle of the park, and pushed the ball forward probingly. Ex-Son Andy Geggan often looked dangerous. But Dumbarton held their ground.

At the other end, Jim Lister was looking for support as Sons tried to explore the Pars' defensive capabilities. On 18 minutes Andy Dowie was booked for a series of infringements on the Dumbarton front man.

Sons defender Alan Lithgow came close to giving the visitors the lead on two occasions midway through the opening 45 minutes.

First, a free kick was headed downwards by Lithgow, but Dunfermline goalie Paul Gallacher parried it over.

From the resulting corner, the big Dumbarton No. 4 put the ball just over the crossbar again. It was beginning to look promising for Sons.

But then just after the half hour Pars' Josh Falkingham was allowed to cruise in behind the defence, nodding the ball in from a long inswinging cross to give the Pars the lead.

Six minutes later a calamitous mix up at the back allowed Falkingham in again, and he swiftly assisted Dunfermline to a 2-0 lead. Andy Graham's clearance attempt just failed, the ball narrowly crossed the line on the far post, and it went down as on own goal.

Dumbarton looked taken aback. Wallace almost added a third for the Pars when he got in behind an anxious looking back line and drove a shot in which went just wide of the bottom far post.

There were a couple of good chances for Sons before the break. Mark Gilhaney crossed a ball aimed at Bryan Prunty. However, it never reached him, thanks to a nifty interception by Jordan McMillan.

From the rebound Chris Turner unleashed a strong 18-yard shot. His effort was pushed out by 'keeper Gallacher. Jim Lister was ready to pounce and strike the ball home for Dumbarton, but he was ruled offside.

Dunfermline began the second half strongly. Great defending from Dumbarton thwarted the home side when Grindlay denied Joe Cardle after a sharp move. Then Lithgow cleared a shot from Ryan Wallace off the line.

Sons pushed back with some good linking play, but could not make the desired impact in the final third.

Interim Dumbarton boss decided to try a different tack up front just before the hour, taking off the busy but tightly marked Gilhaney and bringing on Stephen McDougall.

Five minutes later, defender James Creaney, who had sustained a knock, gave way to Ross Forsyth.

But just as Sons started to settle into a new rhythm the game was sparked by controversy on 68 minutes.

Dunfermline's Joe Cardle was allowed space to burst through a high defensive line and found himself one-on-one with Dumbarton 'keeper Stephen Grindlay. The striker went down, and the referee reached for his red card despite rigorous protests from the Sons' goalie and defenders, since there appeared to have been no intentional contact.

Substitute Dumbarton 'keeper Jamie Ewings was brought on in place of forward Jim Lister. He immediately faced a penalty. Ryan Wallace converted the spot-kick for Dunfermline Athletic to make it 3-0.

On 72 minutes the Pars' Craig Dargo, a hero of Sons' promotion play-offs the previous season, replaced Wallace for the home side. Shaun Byrne then replaced Josh Falkingham.

It never really looked as if Sons could get back into the game at this point, and most of the traffic was from Dunfermline's end. There was the occasional chance for Dumbarton. Chris Turner handled a free kick from 2- yards, but Gallacher was able to parry the ball away.

A couple of fine clearances off the line, including another one from Alan Lithgow, prevented further damage to ten-man Sons, as Dunfermline pushed forward in search of more goals.

Substitute Andy Barrowman, who came on for Andy Kirk on 83 minutes for Pars, saw his header come back off the post.

then just before the end Cardle unleashed an unstoppable drive to give the home side a commanding 4-0 victory. He cut in from the left before firing a fine, curling shot past Ewings.

It was another bitterly disappointing afternoon for Dumbarton, who held their own well for spells of the game, but then showed weaknesses at important junctures against high quality opposition from Dunfermline.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet