Dumbarton 4 - 2 Raith Rovers 

League - First Division
Wednesday, March 27th, 2013, 3:00 PM at Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Attendance: 483
Referee: Bobby Madden
Dumbarton v Raith Rovers, Mar 27th 2013, Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Dumbarton  Raith Rovers

Jim Lister (36)
Jim Lister (64)
Scott Agnew (pen.) (70)
Jim Lister (84)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Grant Murray

Starting Eleven
Stephen Grindlay
James Creaney
Paul McGinn
Andy Graham
Scott Smith
Scott Agnew
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Steven McDougall
Bryan Prunty
Jim Lister

Jamie Ewings
Alan Lithgow
Mark Lamont
Nicky Phinn
Owen Ronald

Alan Lithgow for Bryan Prunty (85)
Mark Lamont for Steven McDougall (86)
Owen Ronald for Jim Lister (88)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 276 apps -
James Creaney 81 apps -
Paul McGinn 9 apps -
Andy Graham 27 apps2 goals
Scott Smith 12 apps -
Scott Agnew 73 apps20 goals
Mark Gilhaney 101 apps22 goals
Chris Turner 22 apps3 goals
Steven McDougall 25 apps3 goals
Bryan Prunty 72 apps30 goals
Jim Lister 31 apps13 goals
Alan Lithgow (sub) 70 apps6 goals
Mark Lamont (sub) 33 apps -
Owen Ronald (sub) 3 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Scott Smith (21 years 78 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (32 years 37 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 40 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Owen Ronald (19 years 327 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (32 years 37 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 10 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


AN amazing second half fight-back by Dumbarton secured a vital 4-2 victory over Raith Rovers in a pulsating game at the Bet Butler Stadium.

In the first half Sons let Raith take a two-goal lead before pulling a goal back just before the break.

In the second half they burst into life to score three more, with hat-trick hero Jim Lister, unsurprisingly named Sonstrust Man of the Match, propelling Dumbarton to a win that reignites their First Division campaign.

Rovers made a swift start to the match on a cold evening at the Rock, Brian Graham forcing an early, if fairly comfortable, save out of Dumbarton 'keeper Stephen Grindlay.

Within just four minutes the visitors were in front, when the home team failed to clear their lines and Greig Spence fired the ball home after a blocked shot found its way out to him on the edge of the 6-yard box.

Sons pushed straight back. They nearly claimed an equaliser when Scott Smith headed for goal after an inswinging Scott Agnew corner, being denied by a great save from Raith 'keeper David McGurn.

Then Mark Gilhaney cut in from the left and shot just wide of the near post. Dumbarton were ratcheting up the pressure, but finding it difficult to get a breakthrough.

Raith Rovers almost contributed to their own downfall moments later, when an innocuous looking back-pass was missed completely by McGurn, almost resulting in a bizarre own-goal.

Then on 25 minutes, just as Sons were straining to get back on level terms, Grant Anderson added to their woes, making it 2-0 with shot from just inside the area after some weak defending.

Stung by a score line that in no way reflected the overall balance of play, Dumbarton were soon straining at the leash again.

Agnew hit the bar with a fierce free kick from 25 yards. The ball dropped near the goal line and Jim Lister came agonisingly close to scoring, but was not quite able to get hold of the ball.

On 36 minutes the big striker ensured that Sons got a reward for their endeavours. Another Scott Agnew free kick dropped to Lister in the six-yard box and he made no mistake.

Another good passing move from Sons shortly before the interval ended with Bryan Prunty shooting just wide from 18 yards and his team going in 1-2 down at half time.

The action continued after the break, with Dumbarton determined to level and Raith Rovers equally persistent in trying to extend their lead.

When Gilhaney laid the ball off for Agnew and his shot, which appeared destined for the top corner of the net, was brilliantly tipped over by McGurn, it seemed as if fate would be cruel to Sons.

There was a real let-off for Dumbarton just short of the hour, when Grant Anderson appeared to miss from a couple of yards out with the goal gaping.

At two down again, Sons would have found themselves in exactly the same position they had fought back against on the previous Saturday against Dunfermline.

Instead, on 64 minutes, they were level. Paul McGinn, who was having another very good game, crossed the ball for Jim Lister to outpace the 'keeper and heads home to make it 2-2.

Suddenly Sons were in the driving seat. More superb work from McGinn engineered another Sons chance when a chipped pass enabled Gilhaney to fire just wide of the post.

Then on 70 minutes came a penalty for Dumbarton for a shove in the area. Up stepped Scott Agnew to drive the ball fast and hard to his right. McGurn got a touch, but he could not stop the goal that gave Sons a remarkable 3-2 lead, having been two down 45 minutes earlier.

The drama provided a frantic denouement to an exciting game in which the home side, despite weaknesses, had put on a high quality performance overall.

Only a great point blank save by Stephen Grindlay in the Sons goal denied Raith equaliser on 80 minutes.

With six minutes to go, the hard-working Mark Gilhaney swung the ball into Rovers' box. Jim Lister rose once more to head home, securing his third goal and giving Dumbarton an unassailable 4-2 lead in a match that had looked dead and buried in the first half hour.

A second victory in five days propels Sons into an important double-header against Hamilton Accies with renewed confidence and momentum.

Following the weekend's 4-3 comeback win at Dunfermline, Dumbarton also leapfrogged Cowdenbeath out of the relegation play-off place into eighth in the Irn Bru SFL First Division.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet