Hamilton Academical 2 - 1 Dumbarton

League - First Division
Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013, 3:00 PM at New Douglas Park
Attendance: 775
Referee: Craig Charleston
Hamilton Academical v Dumbarton, Apr 2nd 2013, New Douglas Park
Hamilton Academical Dumbarton 

None. Jim Lister (12)

Team Managers
Billy Reid Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Unknown. Stephen Grindlay
Scott Smith
James Creaney
Paul McGinn
Andy Graham
Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Mark Gilhaney
Jim Lister
Steven McDougall
Bryan Prunty

None. Josh Lumsden
Alan Lithgow
Adam Asghar
Mark Lamont
Owen Ronald

None. Alan Lithgow for Paul McGinn (9)
Owen Ronald for Steven McDougall (46)
Adam Asghar for Bryan Prunty (89)

None. Jim Lister (14)
Alan Lithgow (42)
James Creaney (78)
Andy Graham (86)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 278 apps -
James Creaney 83 apps -
Paul McGinn 11 apps1 goal
Andy Graham 29 apps2 goals
Scott Smith 14 apps -
Chris Turner 24 apps3 goals
Scott Agnew 75 apps21 goals
Mark Gilhaney 103 apps22 goals
Jim Lister 33 apps14 goals
Steven McDougall 27 apps4 goals
Bryan Prunty 74 apps30 goals
Alan Lithgow (sub) 71 apps6 goals
Adam Asghar (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Owen Ronald (sub) 5 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Scott Smith (21 years 84 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (32 years 43 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 46 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Josh Lumsden (16 years 237 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (32 years 43 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 340 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Adam Asghar(Signed )


DUMBARTON'S three match winning run came to an end at New Douglas Park, when a second positive result in four days against Hamilton Accies proved too much for the hard pressed visitors.

After absorbing early pressure, Sons took an encouraging first half lead. But Accies continued to press throughout the match.

Quite a few chances went begging for Dumbarton in both halves, and the home side ended up claiming all the points with two goals inside the final ten minutes.

“It was a game in all honesty we should have won, given the number of chances we created, and it was a hard lesson for the boys,” commented Sons boss Ian Murray afterwards.

“We played well in patches, but in the second half Hamilton came at us and eventually got the win. But we've taken nine points from a possible twelve and having played four games in ten days, we have to be pleased overall,” he added.

Accies showed their determination to claim something from this match from the outset, dominating the early possession.

With fewer than ten minutes on the clock, Dumbarton sustained their first setback when Paul McGinn pulled up sharply while chasing a ball down in the opponents' half on the right.

It was fairly evidently a hamstring problem. With McGinn unable to continue, Alan Lithgow was the man coming off the bench for Sons.

The defensive line-up was now James Creaney at left back, Scott Smith and Lithgow in the centre, and Andy Graham at right back.

After play resumed Graham grabbed control of the ball in the middle of the park and beat several Hamilton players.

Dumbarton then won a free kick, which was accurately looped into the area by Scott Agnew. Up rose big Jim Lister to head the ball past Accies 'keeper Kevin Cuthbert and give the visitors a 1-0 lead, against the run of play.

Minutes later Lister was yellow-carded for pulling down a Hamilton forward as the home side pressed back. Son's goalie Stephen Grindlay did well to hold the resulting free kick.

Dumbarton had several chances to extend their lead before the break. First, Bryan Prunty found himself in a good position in Accies' area, but could not bring his shot under control.

Next an Agnew corner dropped well for Lithgow. He attempted to volley home, but a solid defensive block took the sting out of the shot and it ricocheted away harmlessly.

At the other end, Ziggy Gordon shot from range, but Grindlay was well on top of the situation and pushed the ball wide.

Then Prunty almost produced a carbon copy of his goal of the season contending overhead kick against Airdrie United several weeks ago. This time, however, his effort went wide.

Controversy broke out when the referee awarded a free kick for obstruction against Alan Lithgow, who was attempting to shield the ball. He was also booked, apparently for use of the elbow.

Dumbarton gaffer Ian Murray was furious at the decision and rushed from his technical area to remonstrate with official Craig Charleston, who responded by sending him to the stands.

It was the first time the Sons manager had been dismissed in his career, he noted afterwards.

Another good scoring opportunity went awry for the visitors when the ball came across goal to Agnew. His shot careered wide and over from 8 yards out.

Hamilton Accies turned up the heat in the closing minutes of the first half, but Sons went into the break still 1-0 in front.

Owen Ronald came on for Steven McDougall for the beginning of the second half.

It was the home side who grasped the initiative after the restart. They were denied an equaliser only by some fine Sons defending.

Scott Smith put in a great tackle on Stevie May. Then Agnew got into the action once more, this time blocking a dangerous looking Accies shot.

Mikey Devlin replaced Jonathan Page on 53 minutes as Hamilton wheeled forward and Dumbarton found themselves defending deep.

Two more scoring opportunities followed for Sons. Graham lifted the ball into the box and Prunty won a header, but Cuthbert blocked him.

Next, Mark Gilhaney cut in behind the defence. This time the busy Accies 'keeper forced him wide and robbed him of a chance on goal.

Ex-Son Jon McShane came on for the home side just after the hour, in place of Ryan Finnie.

The next 15 minutes or so was all Hamilton, with Dumbarton defending for their lives. Grindlay was called upon to make two good saves: a block from May again, and then a parry to a powerful Darian Mackinnon volley.

On 71 minutes the equaliser, which had looked almost inevitable for some time, finally came.

Unsurprisingly it was Stevie May who did the damage, pushing beyond the back line and lobbing past the Sons 'keeper.

The next two chances fell to Dumbarton. First Lister glanced a header just over the bar. Then Lithgow headed wide.

Accies wasted little time in capitalising on the turnaround. From an Alister Crawford corner May got the ball first in a crowded box and beat Grindlay.

There was some question about whether the ball had crossed the line, but those close to the action, including the assistant, believed that it had. 2-1 to Hamilton.

The last throw of the dice for Dumbarton was Motherwell loanee Adam Ashghar coming on for Prunty with only a couple of minutes to go. Sons could not spring a final surprise, however.

Having led for the majority of the game and fought hard throughout, the loss proved disappointing.

Missed chances, as well as some apparent fatigue when faced twice with full-time opposition in the space of a few days, ended up costing Sons dear.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet