Dumbarton 0 - 1 Queen of the South 

Challenge Cup - 1st Round
Saturday, July 28th, 2012, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 684
Referee: Gary Hilland
Dumbarton v Queen of the South, Jul 28th 2012, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Queen of the South

None. Nicky Clark (69)

Team Managers
Alan Adamson Allan Johnston

Starting Eleven
Stephen Grindlay
James Creaney
Alan Lithgow
Jason Marr
Andy Graham
Garry Fleming
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Jim Lister
Steven McDougall
Bryan Prunty
Lee Robinson
Chris Higgins
Ryan McGuffie
Mark Durnan
Derek Young
William Gibson
Steven McKenna
Nicky Clark
Kevin Holt
Kevin Smith
Daniel Carmichael

Jamie Ewings
Jamie Lyden
Martin McNiff
Phil Johnston
Mark Lamont
Jim Atkinson
Chris Mitchell
Allan Johnston
Gavin Reilly
Derek Lyle

Mark Lamont for Bryan Prunty (73)
Gavin Reilly for Kevin Smith (63)
Derek Lyle for Willie Gibson (79)

James Creaney (15)
Chris Higgins (45)
Steven McKenna (53)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 256 apps -
James Creaney 64 apps -
Alan Lithgow 41 apps4 goals
Jason Marr 1 app (debut) -
Andy Graham 1 app (debut) -
Garry Fleming 1 app (debut) -
Mark Gilhaney 72 apps18 goals
Scott Agnew 43 apps13 goals
Jim Lister 1 app (debut) -
Steven McDougall 1 app (debut) -
Bryan Prunty 42 apps17 goals
Mark Lamont (sub) 14 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jason Marr (23 years 161 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 160 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 334 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (18 years 302 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 160 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 118 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Andy Graham(Signed June 7th, 2012)
Garry Fleming(Signed June 29th, 2012)
Jason Marr(Signed )
Jim Lister(Signed )
Steven McDougall(Signed June 22nd, 2012)


VISITORS Queen of the South looked sharp from the beginning in this absorbing Ramdens Cup first round tie at the Bet Butler Stadium.

Dumbarton were in contention throughout, but as the game progressed it looked like the kind of match that would be grabbed by a single goal, and that is how it turned out.

The first twenty minutes saw a struggle for dominance coming out of midfield. The Doonhamers were soon pressing.

Defensive frailties saw Nicky Clark burst through early on, only to be thwarted by a good, low stop from eventual Ramsdens Man of the Match, Sons goalie Stephen Grindlay.

A 25-yard free kick followed, but went well over. Then a succession of dangerous looking strikes from Clark and fellow Queen of the South attacker Dan Carmichael pulled out further concentration-based instinct saves from big Shay.

Then it was Sons' opportunity. A ball floated in from Steven McDougall gave Prunty a chance. This was followed by a shot from outside the central area by Garry Fleming.

The game moved from end to end, but with the Doonhamers looking a half yard quicker. A ball swung in from right for Queens found the ever-dangerous Clark, but he fell away stretching to head it and it rolled out of play.

Scott Agnew had the chance to try his skill and luck for Dumbarton with two free kicks. The second one curved in and nearly caught out the defence. But not quite.

In one move, Grindlay kicked the ball down the left channel, but it was struck straight back. Suddenly Sons found themselves facing a three man swarm from the visitors. A sharp intervention from Fleming saved the day.

Jim Lister had a shot at the other end, but he could not quite get hold of the ball, and 'keeper Lee Robinson, who put in a more than workmanlike performance for the Doonhamers throughout, pushed it away. Lister continued to hustle and push for Sons.

Just on the half hour the referee awarded Dumbarton a free kick for holding by the opponents. This time Agnew, in a central position, varied his routine by striking the ball along the ground. It went just wide.

The match was being played out at some pace and was proving a beginning of the season test of fitness as well as alertness.

William Gibson had a 30 yard free kick and tried to emulate Aggy. The resulting goalmouth scramble ended with a raised flag for offside, but the Doonhamers strike force were turning quickly, getting in behind the defence and giving Alan Lithgow and Andy Graham a hard time in central defence.

On 34 minutes Stephen McKenna and Carmichael combined for Queens, but there was no power or accuracy in the finish.

Lithgow leapt high from an in-swinging Agnew corner for Sons, but the ball went way over the crossbar.

Dumbarton's James Creaney, who was also pushing upfield with Mark Gilhaney, was dead-legged in a robust challenge from Gibson and had to receive treatment. It looked as if he might have to go off, but he continued.

Queen of the South keep stealing the ball in the middle of the park and breaking forward. Sons came reclaimed possession, but were struggling to dominate.

The closest Dumbarton came to scoring was when Prunty hit the roof of the net after attempting to lob Robinson following a corner.

An absolutely fantastic 25-yard free kick from Sons' Agnew was virtually the final action of the first half. It pulled out a remarkable save which would have graced any television highlights show.

The pace of the game increased even more after the break. Queens attacked and almost caught out big Andy Graham at the back, but he made a good recovery.

Penalty claims were denied at both ends in a match that continued to offer plenty of incident and excitement.

A superb save at the near post from Stephen Grindlay was part of another sterling performance from the Sons goalie.

Further up the field, Garry Fleming impressed with his creativity and work rate. And in spite of struggling to find a way through the Doonhamers, Dumbarton continued to operate together well.

The match continued to ebb and flow. However, the killer punch came on 68 minutes when the visitors' Nicky Clark nodded in a header at the end of a swift counter-attacking move.

Sons pressed for an equaliser, but could not find one. Lister was impressive in the air, Gilhaney created chances in the channels, and Creaney was among those who had chances to level proceedings for the home side.

On 73 minutes there was a double substitution for Dumbarton. Gilhaney and Prunty were replaced by Johnston and Lamont. McDougall moved up front with the subs being deployed on either wing.

Moments later, Graham came close to converting an Agnew corner. Lister caused a similar threat on 84 minutes, with Queens improbably clearing their lines in a desperate goalmouth scramble involving four or five efforts from Dumbarton.

But it was not to be. The visitors remained composed and clinical, holding on to their narrow lead.

The overall view of gaffer Alan Adamson was that there had been more positives then negatives from the encounter with Queen of the South, but it was nevertheless disappointing to lose.

'Keeper Grindlay was named Ramsdens man of the match, and received his award from Ramsdens representative Robbi Docherty, also a well-known Sons fan.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet