Dumbarton 3 - 1 Greenock Morton 

League - Championship
Saturday, August 24th, 2013, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 1,171
Referee: Willie Collum
Dumbarton v Greenock Morton, Aug 24th 2013, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Greenock Morton

Mitch Megginson (18)
Colin Nish (42)
Steven McDougall (84)
Dougie Imrie (pen.) (19)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Allan Moore

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Scott Smith
Andy Graham
Paul McGinn
Aaron Barry
Hugh Murray
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Colin Nish
Mitch Megginson
Derek Gaston
Scott Taggart
Tomas Peciar
Mark McLaughlin
Michal Habai
Tony Wallace
Reece Hands
Fouad Bachirou
Dougie Imrie
David O'Brien
Kabba-Modou Cham

Stephen Grindlay
Josh Horne
Ally McKerracher
Garry Fleming
Bryan Prunty
Kevin Smith
Steven McDougall
Marc Fitzpatrick
Jonathan Page
Archie Campbell
Nicolas Caraux
Aidan Fulton
David McNeil
David Verlaque

Steven McDougall for Mitch Megginson (61)
Garry Fleming for Colin Nish (70)
Bryan Prunty for Scott Agnew (83)
Jonathan Page for Michal Habai (46)
Archie Campbell for David O'Brien (46)
Aidan Fulton for Tony Wallace (74)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 32 apps -
Scott Smith 23 apps -
Andy Graham 40 apps3 goals
Paul McGinn 19 apps2 goals
Aaron Barry 4 apps -
Hugh Murray 1 app (debut) -
Mark Gilhaney 114 apps25 goals
Chris Turner 34 apps3 goals
Scott Agnew 86 apps25 goals
Colin Nish 1 app (debut)1 goal
Mitch Megginson 5 apps1 goal
Garry Fleming (sub) 37 apps4 goals
Steven McDougall (sub) 38 apps6 goals
Bryan Prunty (sub) 85 apps31 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Aaron Barry (20 years 278 days)
Oldest Player:Hugh Murray (34 years 237 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 269 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ally McKerracher (17 years 63 days)
Oldest Player:Hugh Murray (34 years 237 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 113 days
Domestic Players:16 (88.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Colin Nish(Signed August 22nd, 2013)
Hugh Murray(Signed August 22nd, 2013)

Colin Nish scored his first goal for the Club.
Mitch Megginson scored his first goal for the Club.

DUMBARTON made a solid recovery from disappointment last week, securing a 3-1 victory and three crucial points against local rivals Greenock Morton.

Sons took the lead, recovered from a setback before the break, and then extended their advantage in the second half to provide the fans with a morale-boosting performance and result.

Gaffer Ian Murray commented afterwards: "We didn't play at all at Hamilton and changes had to be made. This time I though I thought we played very well and Colin Nish was excellent for us.

"We changed the shape of the team from last week and bringing in Hugh Murray gave me an option that we used well. Both he and Nish will give us experience in key areas, which will be vital.

Dumbarton began the game in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with the debutants in key roles Nish leading the line and Murray between defence and midfield.

The home side got out of the starting blocks quickly, as Chris Turner sent through a dangerous looking ball for Mitch Megginson down the right side. But it was too hard even for the pacy striker to reach.

Morton pushed back with plenty of intent. Reece Hands tried a shot from 25 yards, which was parried away by Jamie Ewings in the Sons goal, before being scrambled clear by the defence.

Then on 18 minutes, to the delight of the home fans, Dumbarton took the lead. A good bit of trickery on the wing by new signing Colin Nish set up young Megginson for a header. His first effort went on to the bar, but the keen striker was there to nod in from the rebound.

One minute later, however, there was almost instant disappointment.

Morton drew level. Dougie Imrie made no mistake from the spot after Scott Smith was adjudged to have committed a foul in the area, sending Ewings the wrong way with his firmly hit penalty.

Smith wasted no time seeking to make amends, and indeed ended up having a good match, even though he does not look 100% fit. His long-range strike was certainly heading for the top corner of the Ton net, until 'keeper Derek Gaston got across to tip the ball wide. It was a first class save.

Another good chance for Dumbarton came when the threatening Nish flicked a ball on to Turner, who ran on to it and faced a strong challenge. The ball fell to Megginson 18 yards out. It was a decent effort, but well over.

Moments later Paul McGinn swung in a great ball which Turner attacked enthusiastically. However, his header went just wide of the post.

Sons were seeing more of the ball, but Morton were still looking menacing. It took a tough tackle from Turner to prevent a breakthrough on 40 minutes.

Shortly afterwards, the home side went 2-1 in front. Nish pounced on a poor back-pass, slotting the ball confidently past Gaston. It was a good chance, but not an easy one to take and the veteran showed his class in the way that he capitalised on it.

At the break Morton made changes and reshaped their formation to give themselves more attacking options. Michael Habai and David O'Brien came off, to be replaced by Archie Campbell and Jonathan Page.

The second half began speedily, with more space opening up in the middle of the park. This gave Dumbarton the chance to push forward, but also posed potential challenges at the back.

Nish was soon in the action again, despite this being his first competitive outing since March 2013. He drove forward with the ball before firing over from a tight angle.

The big striker was also getting a good deal of robust attention from Ton defenders. He had a penalty shout when pulled down in the area, but not for the first time the referee waved away his appeals.

Sons' first change came just after the hour, following a knock to Megginson and some on-field treatment. The tricky front man was replaced by Steven McDougall.

Next, Andy Graham won a header from a trademark Scott Agnew cross, but the ball was easily taken by Gaston in the Morton goal.

On 70 minutes, Nish took his bow, to a resounding applause, giving way to hard-working Garry Fleming.

Dumbarton were looking in control overall, but with just a one-goal lead the threat of retaliation is always there. For one horrible moment it looked as if Ton were going to equalise when McGinn's back-pass to Ewings proved too weak.

However, Aaron Barry, who had started tentatively but had grown in confidence, was well placed to offer cover.

Morton were clearly determined to get something out of this match, pressing forward with guile and skill. Sons held firm at the back, but there were several uneasy moments.

On 74 minutes Aidan Fulton replaced ex-Son Tony Wallace for the visitors. Eight minutes later, Dumbarton made their final switch, with Bryan Prunty coming on for Scott Agnew.

The decisive blow came a few minutes from the end of the game. Scott Smith put in a fine cross from the edge of the area. Substitute McDougall was on hand to glance a header across Gaston and into the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-1.

There was no way back from Morton after this, and Sons saw out the game safely to claim their first victory in the new Scottish Professional Football League Championship.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet