Dumbarton 1 - 0 Albion Rovers 

League Cup - 1st Round
Saturday, August 3rd, 2013, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 505
Referee: Barry Cook
Dumbarton v Albion Rovers, Aug 3rd 2013, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Albion Rovers

Mark Gilhaney (42)

Team Managers
Ian Murray James Ward

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Aaron Barry
Paul McGinn
Andy Graham
Scott Linton
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Mitch Megginson
Bryan Prunty
Steven McDougall
Neil Parry
Alan Reid
Ross Dunlop
Ciaran Donnelly
Michael Dunlop
Peter Innes
David Crawford
Kevin Nicoll
Scott Chaplain
Liam Cusack
Mark McGuigan

Stephen Grindlay
Scott Smith
Ally McKerracher
Garry Fleming
Kevin Smith
Gary Phillips
Chris Dallas
Darren Miller
Ryan Tiffney
Matthew McGinley

Kevin Smith for Bryan Prunty (62)
Garry Fleming for Steven McDougall (70)
Gary Phillips for Gary Phillips (77)
Chris Dallas for Liam Cusack (77)

Andy Graham (52)
Chris Turner (90)
Peter Innes (30)
Alan Reid (84)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 29 apps -
Andy Graham 37 apps3 goals
Scott Linton 2 apps -
Aaron Barry 1 app (debut) -
Paul McGinn 16 apps2 goals
Chris Turner 31 apps3 goals
Scott Agnew 83 apps24 goals
Mark Gilhaney 111 apps25 goals
Bryan Prunty 82 apps30 goals
Steven McDougall 35 apps5 goals
Mitch Megginson 2 apps -
Garry Fleming (sub) 34 apps4 goals
Kevin Smith (sub) 2 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Aaron Barry (20 years 257 days)
Oldest Player:Bryan Prunty (30 years 211 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 18 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ally McKerracher (17 years 42 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (31 years 151 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 211 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Aaron Barry(Signed August 1st, 2013)

Mark Gilhaney scored for the 25th time for the Club.

DUMBARTON have moved into the second round of the Scottish League Cup with a 1-0 victory over Albion Rovers at the Bet Butler Stadium.

Sons had a number of chances to extend their lead. But perhaps the most gratifying element of the game was a solid defensive display and a clean sheet.

The match began with a minute's enthusiastic and respectful applause in memory of Hughie Gallacher, a Dumbarton legend and our highest ever scorer, who passed away recently. The tribute was witnessed and joined by nine family friends, who were present as guests of the club.

Dumbarton had a couple of early half chances as the game got underway, with Ian Murray's men lining up 4-4-2 allowing Bryan Prunty and Steven McDougall to spearhead the attack.

First Scott Agnew struck high and wide after being set up by Mitch Megginson. Then Mark Gilhaney got into the action, having his effort cleared off the line with the Rovers' goalkeeper Neil Parry well beaten.

Most of the ball was in Sons' possession during the first 20 minutes, with the League Two visitors chasing the game.

Another opportunity came for Dumbarton when Andy Graham just failed to connect with a fizzing Agnew free kick, before ex-Son Kevin Nicoll was fouled and the move came to an end.

Mick Dunlop and Scott Chaplain were the other former Rock men on display for Albion, while former fan favourite Pat Walker was unable to make their squad on this occasion.

Chaplain proved threatening. It took a fantastic save from Dumbarton 'keeper Jamie Ewings to keep him off the score sheet, reminding the home side that they needed to pay attention to the back line as well as venturing forward.

The wind made life difficult for both sides before the break, with Albion Rovers especially finding it tough going.

There was a sense of frustration that Sons were not matching control of the game with convertible chances to establish a lead.

But then a superb turn and through ball by Scott Agnew was picked up by Mark Gilhaney, who evaded a hesitant defender and angled his shot low and well to give Dumbarton a deserved 1-0 lead.

The second half got underway with Sons shooting towards the home fans. Megginson was into the fray early on, with a strike that crept past the post.

At the other end, Dumbarton skipper Graham was almost caught in possession, but made his recovery.

New loan signing Aaron Barry, from Sheffield United, was putting in a good shift in the second 45 minutes, as he had in the first.

His safety first approach provided much-needed stability, and was seen when he booted a ball out of the park in the midst of some indecision elsewhere.

Gilhaney was working hard and urging Sons forward to add to their lead. He was just denied again by Rovers' Parry.

Chris Turner headed over the crossbar from an Agnew corner, before Graham was booked for a mistimed lunge on Liam Cusack.

A good run by overlapping Sons full back Paul McGinn ended with a shot by Gils once more, but it lacked power.

Dumbarton were well up in the game, but the score line was still far too close for comfort. Gaffer Murray decided that it was time to ring the changes. New striker Kevin Smith came on for Prunty just after the hour.

Eight minutes later, Garry Fleming took over from McDougall. The manager seemed to be wanting to try out two of his major attacking options in the tie.

In between these substitutions there was a let-off for Sons. A breakaway Rovers goal, wonderfully struck into the top corner, was ruled offside. It was a clear wake-up call.

It took Dumbarton a little time to adjust after their changes, with Albion starting to come back into the game and play becoming more open and less cagey.

Graham made another slip at the back, and Chris Turner was booked for an infringement as Sons looked slightly nervy.

A goal was very much needed for the home side, but it just would not come.

Nevertheless, Dumbarton saw out the game with a determined glint, and now progress to the second round of the Scottish League Cup.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet