Dumbarton 1 - 2  Livingston

League - Championship
Saturday, September 21st, 2013, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 759
Referee: John Beaton
Dumbarton v Livingston, Sep 21st 2013, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Livingston

Mitch Megginson (44)
Marc McNulty (49)
Marc McNulty (76)

Team Managers
Ian Murray John McGlynn

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Andy Graham
Scott Linton
Paul McGinn
Aaron Barry
Hugh Murray
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Mitch Megginson
Colin Nish
Darren Jamieson
Mike Mampuya
Simon Mensing
Callum Fordyce
Coll Donaldson
Martin Scott
Burton O'Brien
Stefan Scougall
Connor McDonald
Marc McNulty
Andy Barrowman

Stephen Grindlay
Scott Smith
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Ally McKerracher
Garry Fleming
Bryan Prunty
Kevin Smith
Kevin Walker
Danny Denholm
Keaghan Jacobs
Kyle Wilkie
Mark Burchill
Daniel Mullen
Kyle Lander

Garry Fleming for Scott Agnew (77)
Bryan Prunty for Hugh Murray (80)
Kevin Smith for Scott Linton (81)
Keaghan Jacobs for Callum Fordyce (45)
Mark Burchill for Stefan Scougall (77)
Marc McNulty for Danny Denholm (90)

Colin Nish (71)
Aaron Barry (83)
Mike Mampuya (43)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 36 apps -
Paul McGinn 23 apps2 goals
Aaron Barry 8 apps -
Andy Graham 44 apps4 goals
Scott Linton 4 apps -
Scott Agnew 89 apps26 goals
Hugh Murray 5 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 116 apps25 goals
Chris Turner 38 apps5 goals
Mitch Megginson 9 apps3 goals
Colin Nish 5 apps1 goal
Garry Fleming (sub) 40 apps4 goals
Bryan Prunty (sub) 89 apps31 goals
Kevin Smith (sub) 7 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Aaron Barry (20 years 306 days)
Oldest Player:Hugh Murray (34 years 265 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 10 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ally McKerracher (17 years 91 days)
Oldest Player:Hugh Murray (34 years 265 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 101 days
Domestic Players:16 (88.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


TWO goals from Livingston inside a 30-minute period in the second half undid the earlier good work by Dumbarton and secured new manager John McGlynn's first victory for the Lothian club.

Sons missed several chances in a busy opening 45 minutes, while the visitors changed pace and tactics after the break, dominating much of the play and turning the game around.

"We'll take it on the chin and come back. We've always bounced back from difficult games," was the positive response from Sons gaffer Ian Murray after the match. He acknowledged that the SPFL Championship is both a challenging and entertaining league.

There was a chance for Dumbarton in the first few minutes as Chris Turner got in behind the Livingston defence and tried to cut the ball back. However his effort was well blocked.

The Lions struck back straight away. Jamie Ewings in the Sons goal saved well from a dangerous looking Marc McNulty after a slip at the back.

Not long afterwards Dumbarton wasted another opportunity when Mark Gilhaney fired wide from long range, when it seemed that a pass to Colin Nish might have been a better option.

Big Nish was soon into the action himself. He won the ball in the air before firing a scissor kick volley which Livi 'keeper Darren Jamieson did well to hold onto.

Sons were very much on top in the first 20 minutes, and they came close again through a Turner header that went skidding over the crossbar.

Livingston's Callum Fordyce then sustained a knock after a clash of heads, and the game was held up for a few minutes while he was treated and then replaced at half time.

As the opening 45 minutes drew to a close the Lions were coming back into the game. But it was Dumbarton who stole the lead right at the end, grabbing a memorable goal with just a minute to go.

Chris Turner crossed the ball for Colin Nish, who knocked it down for young Mitch Megginson to volley home impressively from 18 yards out. His strike was low and hard, leaving 'keeper Jamieson stranded.

It was a remarkable boost. Sons' optimism soon drained away after the break, however. Livingston upped the pace of the game considerably and soon forced the home side onto the back foot, despite an early chance for Nish.

The Lions were pushing the ball further and faster than they had in the first half, with diminutive Mike Mampuya attacking with speed and guile in an overlapping position down the right wing.

Just four minutes after the restart Livingston were level. Mampuya crossed skilfully to Marc McNulty, who side-footed the ball home with composure and style.

The visitors continued to have more of the possession, forcing Sons back and continuing to look threatening.

At the other end, the industrious Mark Gilhaney almost struck after a Scott Linton long throw found its way to him at the back post. But Jamieson collected well to deny the tricky winger.

For Livingston, Stefan Scougall grabbed the ball off the otherwise solid Paul McGinn, before firing over from a tight angle.

On 76 minutes, the Lions went 2-1 in front as McNulty, once more, fired the ball high into the net and beyond Ewings' grasp. It was a great finish and stunned Sons.

Dumbarton responded with three substitutions in quick succession. First, Scott Agnew, suffering from a knock, gave way to Garry Fleming. Then Hugh Murray was replaced by Bryan Prunty and Scott Linton was brought off for Kevin Smith.

The attacking intention in the final ten minutes was clear, but the reality was that Livingston were scenting victory and in no mood to relent.

Smith got into the action, heading wide from Gilhaney, who was deservedly given the Man of the Match award.

Another free kick was scrambled away by the Lions' defence, as Sons desperately sought a late equaliser.

However, despite the late flourish and endeavour, Dumbarton found no reply to a resurgent Livingston. So what started out as a good performance ended up in disappointment and defeat.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet