Dumbarton 1 - 4 Dundee 

League - Championship
Saturday, October 12th, 2013, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 1,175
Referee: Barry Cook
Dumbarton v Dundee, Oct 12th 2013, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Dundee

Garry Fleming (78)
Peter MacDonald (49)
Ryan Conroy (68)
Peter MacDonald (pen.) (71)
Gavin Rae (88)

Team Managers
Ian Murray John Brown

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Aaron Barry
Andy Graham
Scott Smith
Scott Linton
Paul McGinn
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Mitch Megginson
Colin Nish
Bryan Prunty
Kyle Letheren
Gary Irvine
Matt Lockwood
Gavin Rae
Iain Davidson
Declan Gallagher
Nicky Riley
Jim McAlister
Craig Beattie
Peter MacDonald
Ryan Conroy

Stephen Grindlay
Garry Fleming
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Ally McKerracher
Kevin Smith
Dan Twardzik
Carlo Monti
Steven Doris
James Thomson
Jamie Reid
Martin Boyle
Craig Wighton

Garry Fleming for Scott Linton (69)
Jordan Kirkpatrick for Scott Smith (76)
Kevin Smith for Bryan Prunty (79)
Craig Wighton for Craig Beattie (64)
Steven Doris for Peter MacDonald (72)
Jamie Reid for Nicky Riley (79)

Colin Nish (30)
Paul McGinn (58)
Gary Irvine (41)
Peter MacDonald (51)
Declan Gallagher (77)

Red Cards
Colin Nish (58)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 39 apps -
Aaron Barry 11 apps -
Andy Graham 47 apps4 goals
Scott Smith 26 apps -
Scott Linton 7 apps -
Paul McGinn 26 apps2 goals
Mark Gilhaney 119 apps25 goals
Chris Turner 41 apps6 goals
Mitch Megginson 12 apps3 goals
Colin Nish 8 apps1 goal
Bryan Prunty 92 apps33 goals
Jordan Kirkpatrick (sub) 5 apps -
Garry Fleming (sub) 43 apps6 goals
Kevin Smith (sub) 9 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Aaron Barry (20 years 327 days)
Oldest Player:Colin Nish (32 years 227 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 113 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ally McKerracher (17 years 112 days)
Oldest Player:Colin Nish (32 years 227 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 295 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Dumbarton lost their third home SPFL Championship game in a row against Dundee in what was an incident packed match.

Five goals and a sending off gave the large Bet Butler Stadium crowd plenty talking points and food for thought for Sons gaffer Ian Murray.

He said: "It was a tough game and outcome for us. We were competing well until Nishy's sending off and this was a game changer."

Murray made two changes from the side that lost to Raith Rovers.

Scott Agnew missed out thanks to a groin injury with Scott Smith coming in to play as sweeper, and Garry Fleming dropped to the bench to make way for Colin Nish.

Sons got off to a bright start seconds from the kick-off when Bryan Prunty had an attempt at goal blocked.

However, the pattern for the first period was set with Dundee dominating possession but creating very little.

Colin Nish found himself in the referee's notebook on 30 mins after he had won a free kick and ten mins later the Dark Blues full-back Gary Irvine was also yellow-carded after flooring Megginson.

Both bookings would later prove to be major talking points in the second half.

Craig Beattie almost gave the away team a half-time lead when his 44th minute drive from distance struck Ewings' upright with the Dumbarton 'keeper beaten.

At the start of the second half Nish came close with a header before Dundee took the lead.

Defender Scott Smith was adjudged to have committed a foul on the edge of the Sons box; Peter MacDonald's resultant strike took a wicked deflection from the defensive wall and the ball squirmed away from Ewings.

On 50 mins Gary Irvine clattered into Linton and a second yellow beckoned. But Peter MacDonald was instead booked.

Seven minutes later Colin Nish was given his marching orders following an incident with Dundee's Ian Davidson.

Paul McGinn, later named as the Sonstrust man of the match, was also booked.

Sons settled into a 4-4-1 formation but the strength of eleven versus ten was apparent and Dundee extended their lead on 67 mins.

Ryan Conroy unleashed a beauty from his left foot, with the ball well beyond the reach of Ewings, and the Dark Blues went 2-0 up.

Garry Fleming replaced Linton and on 70 mins the game was put beyond Sons when MacDonald converted a penalty.

Dumbarton reduced the deficit when Fleming's solo run from midfield ended with the striker rounding Letheren and slotting home from an acute angle.

Any hint of a comeback was extinguished with 2 mins remaining via a crisp Gavin Rae shot from 18-yards which sealed the points for the visitors.

Match report by Alan Findlay


Programme cover / Team sheet