Alloa Athletic 1 - 5 Dumbarton

League - Championship
Saturday, January 18th, 2014, 3:00 PM at Recreation Park
Attendance: 602
Referee: Barry Cook
Alloa Athletic v Dumbarton, Jan 18th 2014, Recreation Park
Alloa Athletic Dumbarton 

Kevin Cawley (71) Mark McLaughlin (9)
Chris Turner (30)
Chris Kane (pen.) (42)
Chris Kane (76)
Jordan Kirkpatrick (81)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Jamie Bain
Michael Doyle
James Creaney
Liam Caddis
Ben Gordon
Daryl Meggat
Stephen Simmons
Graeme Holmes
Ross Caldwell
Kevin Cawley
Jonathan Tiffoney
Stephen Grindlay
Paul McGinn
Andy Graham
Mark McLaughlin
Scott Linton
Mark Gilhaney
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Chris Turner
Mitch Megginson
Chris Kane
Colin Nish

Darren Young
Eddie Ferns
Ryan McCord
Andy Kirk
Iain Flannigan
Ryan Gemmell
Craig McDowall
Josh Lumsden
Scott Smith
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Ally McKerracher
Hugh Murray
Bryan Prunty

Ryan McCord for Ben Gordon (45)
Eddie Ferns for James Creaney (64)
Andy Kirk for Stephen Simmons (64)
Garry Fleming for Colin Nish (74)
Scott Agnew for Jordan Kirkpatrick (82)
Bryan Prunty for Mark Gilhaney (83)

Scott Bain (42)
Liam Caddis (83)
Ryan McCord (83)
Chris Turner (38)
Mitch Megginson (80)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 287 apps -
Scott Linton 21 apps1 goal
Paul McGinn 40 apps2 goals
Andy Graham 61 apps5 goals
Mark McLaughlin 3 apps1 goal
Chris Turner 53 apps8 goals
Mark Gilhaney 132 apps25 goals
Jordan Kirkpatrick 19 apps3 goals
Mitch Megginson 26 apps8 goals
Chris Kane 3 apps4 goals
Colin Nish 21 apps2 goals
Garry Fleming (sub) 51 apps8 goals
Scott Agnew (sub) 96 apps26 goals
Bryan Prunty (sub) 106 apps37 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Chris Kane (19 years 140 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 98 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Josh Lumsden (17 years 163 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 169 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Mark McLaughlin scored his first goal for the Club.

DUMBARTON stunned opponents Alloa Athletic with a thumping 5-1 win at Recreation Park, catapulting themselves into the SPFL Championship play-off zone in the process.

Manager Ian Murray was delighted both with the performance and with the result.

After the match he commented: "We knew what we were capable of and that included grabbing a place in the top four. But it's such a tight league, things can change quickly."

Jordan Kirkpatrick and Chris Turner got what turned out to be an epic clash underway. Early pressure from Dumbarton paid off when Mitch Megginson's cross was headed by Chris Kane onto the bar and over. It was a clear sign of things to come.

All the initial pressure was from the away side, and on eight minutes their endeavour was rewarded when a mark McLaughlin header from the centre of the box scrambled through the defence and into the net.

The initiative had begun with Scott Linton's long throw. It was a rather scrappy opening goal in the end, but welcomed enthusiastically by the players and visiting supporters.

Sons kept up the intense momentum. Alloa keeper Scott Bain was called into action to make a great save from a glancing header by Andy Graham, in a move that began with a free kick.

Next a speculative volley from Paul McGinn flew just wide of the post. This was turning into an all-action game.

Long throws from Linton were causing the home side all kinds of problems at the back.

A Chris Turner strike from 20 yards out fizzed just past the post again. Then Megginson put in a dangerous ball, but it was scuffed away by the Alloa back line for a corner.

Another great save from Bain pushed away a Colin Nish volley at the back post. Sons were on fire.

Just before the half hour, when Alloa were still struggling to get out of their own half, Dumbarton made it 2-0. A McLaughlin corner floated over to Turner, whose close-range header left the keeper with no chance.

The home side struck back immediately. Dumbarton goalkeeper Stephen Grindlay was called into action. He pulled off a spectacular close range save when a header from Kevin Cawley rattled in from the edge of the six-yard box.

On 37 minutes Chris Turner was rather harshly shown a yellow card for a robust challenge.

Four minutes later Dumbarton had a penalty. Chris Kane was flying through and Wasps' keeper Bain tumbled him over. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and producing another yellow card.

Kane took the penalty himself and right-footed the ball confidently into the goal, striking it high into the centre of the net.

There was a mini-flurry from the home side before half time, but Ross Caldwell's resulting left-footed effort was well blocked.

Dumbarton headed into the break 3-0 in front, and they certainly looked capable of more in the second half.

There were chances for both sides when play resumed. First, Cawley struck a menacing ball from outside the box for Alloa, but it flew high over the crossbar. At the other end, a further attempt from Jordan Kirkpatrick was blocked.

Grindlay made another good stop, this time from Liam Caddis. For Dumbarton, a header from Andy Graham was comfortably saved by Bain.

The Wasps went for a double substitution on 63 minutes, bringing on Edward Ferns and Andy Kirk in an attempt to turn the game around, but the overall shape of the match did not change a great deal.

Within five minutes of the Alloa changes, Kane, Kirkpatrick and Mark Gilhaney had all had good attempts on goal for the visitors, as they busily sought to extend the Dumbarton lead.

Alloa began pushing again. First, Kevin Cawley pulled a goal back for the home side with a right-footed shot from outside the box, after his previous effort had been well saved by Grindlay.

Then at 3-1 Daryl Meggatt came fairly close for the Wasps from 15 yards, following a set piece situation. It was a warning sign for Dumbarton not to allow things to slip further.

On 73 minutes Sons' gaffer Ian Murray made his first change of the afternoon, bringing on Garry Fleming for Colin Nish.

Two minutes later Mitch Megginson crossed the ball to Chris Kane, whose spectacular right-footed volley from eight yards out enabled him to claim his brace in decisive fashion and put Sons 4-1 in front.

At this stage it looked like an unassailable lead, but there was still more to come, as Sons went nap on 81 minutes through an amazing volley from Jordan Kirkpatrick.

In two final switches, Dumbarton brought on first Scott Agnew to replace Kirkpatrick and then Bryan Prunty for the industrious Mark Gilhaney.

Agnew came close with a trademark free kick from the edge of the area, before having another right-footed attempt saved in the top centre of the goal.

The last chance of the game went to Fleming, but he could not quite convert it to give Dumbarton the joy of six on an exhilarating afternoon.

It was a thrilling encounter from Sons' point of view, moving the team into fourth spot in the division.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet