Greenock Morton 3 - 0 Dumbarton

League - Championship
Tuesday, April 1st, 2014, 7:45 PM at Cappielow
Attendance: 826
Referee: Alan Muir
Greenock Morton v Dumbarton, Apr 1st 2014, Cappielow
Greenock Morton Dumbarton 

Rowan Vine (14)
Thomas O'Ware (38)
Barrie McKay (57)

Team Managers
Kenny Shiels Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Thomas O'Ware
Rowan Vine
Barrie McKay
Dougie Imrie
Jamie Ewings
Mark McLaughlin
Andy Graham
Michael Miller
Paul McGinn
Scott Agnew
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Chris Turner
Mitch Megginson
Chris Kane
Colin Nish

Stephen Grindlay
Scott Smith
Garry Fleming
Mark Gilhaney
Hugh Murray
Bryan Prunty
Steven McDougall

McKee for Robertson (82)
Russell for Barrie McKay (82)
Knight for Dougie Imrie (86)
Hugh Murray for Chris Turner (19)
Bryan Prunty for Scott Agnew (59)
Garry Fleming for Colin Nish (59)

Thomas O'Ware (59) Mitch Megginson (56)
Garry Fleming (74)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 54 apps -
Paul McGinn 51 apps2 goals
Mark McLaughlin 11 apps1 goal
Andy Graham 73 apps5 goals
Michael Miller 12 apps2 goals
Chris Turner 59 apps9 goals
Scott Agnew 106 apps27 goals
Jordan Kirkpatrick 31 apps6 goals
Mitch Megginson 38 apps10 goals
Chris Kane 15 apps9 goals
Colin Nish 33 apps5 goals
Garry Fleming (sub) 62 apps9 goals
Hugh Murray (sub) 17 apps -
Bryan Prunty (sub) 113 apps37 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Michael Miller (19 years 96 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 130 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 191 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Michael Miller (19 years 96 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 130 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 216 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A VERY disappointing performance from Dumbarton at Cappielow resulted in a dispiriting away defeat to Greenock Morton.

Gaffer Ian Murray said after the match: “It was a disappointing defeat and could have been more than three goals.

“If we lose another game and the difference goes to nine points it's over. I think the players are just a bit leggy now and showing signs of tiredness.”

Morton played well and without the fear that might have been expected on the brink of relegation. But Dumbarton also allowed them too much time and space, particularly in the middle of the park.

Things started well for Sons, with Scott Agnew's early shot from outside the box going just high and wide to the left.

But the 'Ton were soon on the move, winning four corners in quick succession over the next six minutes and keeping the visitors under pressure.

Thomas O'Ware got in a header which served as a warning to Dumbarton, Scott Taggart's effort was knocked away, while Barrie Mackay's strike called for a decent save from 'keeper Jamie Ewings.

Meanwhile Sons' Northern Irish midfield anchor Chris Turner sustained a nasty blow which resulted in blood gushing from his head. He went off and returned with the wound bandaged.

Shortly afterwards, with just 13 minutes on the clock, Morton went 1-0 in front.

Once again it was a header from an unmarked player that did the damage. David Robertson swung the ball in for the home side and veteran Rowan Vine rose to nod the ball home. It was all too easy.

On 18 minutes Hugh Murray had to come on for Turner because of suspected concussion.

The pressure continued. Dougie Imrie's strike was stopped. Then Marc Fitzpatrick fizzed in a shot which flew wide to the left of Ewings' post.

It looked as if Dumbarton had pulled level when Chris Kane netted. A goal for the visitors could have made a massive difference at this stage of the game. But Chris Kane was ruled offside.

Dumbarton's second real effort came just short of the half hour mark, when Mitch Megginson right-footed a shot in from outside the box, which was saved by Derek Gaston in the centre of the goal.

Ten minutes later Morton went two in front. Thomas O'Ware shook off his marker in order to take advantage of another inswinger and head past Ewings.

By the break Sons were well behind and still on the back foot.

Dumbarton's Jordan Kirkpatrick and Scott Agnew got the match underway for the second half.

Sons seemed more determined. Gaston got down well for Morton to hold the ball following a low Kirkpatrick cross with Kane lurking.

Next, Megginson supplied Kane once more, but the young attacker's 18-yard effort was held by the Greenock goalie.

Kirkpatrick had another strike blocked, before Mikey Miller was forced to make a vital goal-line clearance to spare Dumbarton further embarrassment at the other end.

Morton launched a series of fast, agile counterattacking moves which had Sons reeling. The final one clinched the game. Barrie McKay went on an excellent individual run, finishing in style to make it 3-0 to the home team.

There was no way back for Sons after that, unfortunately, even with over half an hour left to play.

Bryan Prunty and Garry Fleming were brought on by boss Ian Murray, in place of the struggling Colin Nish and Scott Agnew.

Prunty had little chance to make an impact and Fleming proceeded to pick up a booking and risk further punishment for a robust challenge near the end.

Things could have got worse for Dumbarton. A fine punt from Imrie curled just wide of Ewings' top corner.

The Sons goalie then made a superb save from an O'Ware header before Vine blasted wide when it looed easier to score.

A penalty shout from Dumbarton was half-hearted and the referee saw it has ball to arm.

A Garry Fleming booking means that he misses the Raith Rovers game on Saturday 12th April.

For Dumbarton, Paul McGinn had an effort saved, while 'Ton stalwarts McKay and Vine went close.

Heading into time added on, Mark McLaughlin's left-footed shot from outside the box went high and wide to the right.

Next up for Dumbarton is a visit from Alloa Athletic to the Bet Butler Stadium on Saturday 5th April, when the men from the Rock will be aiming to get straight back to winning ways.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet