Dumbarton 2 - 1 Falkirk 

League - Championship
Saturday, February 15th, 2014, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 1,003
Referee: Greg Aitken
Dumbarton v Falkirk, Feb 15th 2014, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Falkirk

Mitch Megginson (63)
Jordan Kirkpatrick (73)
Rory Loy (29)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Gary Holt

Starting Eleven
Stephen Grindlay
Paul McGinn
Andy Graham
Mark McLaughlin
Scott Linton
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Scott Agnew
Mark Gilhaney
Mitch Megginson
Chris Kane
Colin Nish
Michael McGovern
Kieran Duffie
Stephen Kingsley
Will Vaulks
David McCracken
Mark Millar
Phil Roberts
Craig Sibbald
Mark Beck
Rory Loy
Conor McGrandles

Jamie Ewings
Michael Miller
Scott Smith
Glenn Thomson
Hugh Murray
Steven McDougall
Olumide Durojaiye
Jonathan Flynn
Graham Bowman
Luke Leahy
Ryan Blair
Scott Shepherd
Joe Chalmers

Michael Miller for Colin Nish (81)
Steven McDougall for Mitch Megginson (85)
Scott Shepherd for Craig Sibbald (84)
Luke Leahy for Phil Roberts (85)

Mark McLaughlin (55)
Mark Millar (72)
David McCracken (77)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stephen Grindlay (GK) 291 apps -
Scott Linton 25 apps1 goal
Paul McGinn 43 apps2 goals
Andy Graham 65 apps5 goals
Mark McLaughlin 6 apps1 goal
Jordan Kirkpatrick 23 apps5 goals
Scott Agnew 100 apps26 goals
Mark Gilhaney 136 apps25 goals
Colin Nish 25 apps4 goals
Mitch Megginson 30 apps9 goals
Chris Kane 7 apps6 goals
Michael Miller (sub) 4 apps -
Steven McDougall (sub) 50 apps7 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Chris Kane (19 years 168 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 85 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 109 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Michael Miller (19 years 51 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 85 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 262 days
Domestic Players:17 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Scott Agnew played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.
Steven McDougall played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

ANOTHER resolute performance from Dumbarton was deservedly rewarded by victory over SPFL Championship contenders Falkirk at the Bet Butler Stadium.

The win means that the men from the Rock remain undefeated in the league in 2014, extending their overall unbeaten run to seven games while also remaining the highest scoring team in the division at present, with 42 goals.

"We were disappointing in the first half," conceded Sons' boss Ian Murray after the game. "But fair credit to our players. They dominated the second period. We fought to the end and got a wee bit of luck with a deflected goal."

As the match got underway, the Bairns where soon dominating possession and launching a series of measured attacks on the Dumbarton area.

Mark Millar, Craig Sibbald, Rory Loy and Phil Roberts all had attempts on goal within the first 12 minutes, the latter three efforts requiring important stops from busy Sons' goalie Stephen Grindlay.

At the other end a free kick from Scott Agnew more than 30 yards out was tipped over the bar by Falkirk 'keeper Michael McGovern. The resulting corner was then safely cleared away.

Meanwhile, it took some great defending from Jordan Kirkpatrick to stop they determined Roberts when he got in behind the Dumbarton at line.

In the middle of the park Sons were struggling to hold onto possession, while Falkirk were given too much time on the ball during much of the first half hour.

In fairness, Dumbarton were defending well and closing down spaces in and around the area. But it was perhaps inevitable that at least one lapse would occur, and although the Bairns were proving less than clinical in the box, when the Sons mistake came it was ruthlessly punished.

Mark Beck had far too much space to thread a ball past a retreating Dumbarton defence. Rory Loy grabbed hold of the ball as Grindlay rushed off his line, just beating the keeper to it as he right-footed his shot in from the left side of the box into the corner of the net.

Immediately after the restart Sons could have been straight back into the game. Agnew got in behind the Falkirk defence, but McGovern did well to block the resulting shot with his legs.

The visiting side threatened again. Grindlay made a terrific save from Beck, heading in from close range. The ball rebounded dangerously but somehow went wide of the post from less than a yard out.

McGovern also impressed by denying Paul McGinn after he made an overlapping run, picked up the ball from Mark Gilhaney and attempted to slot it home.

There were no further chances before the whistle blew for half time and both sides had a chance to regroup following a crowded first 45 minutes.

Dumbarton got the game underway again for the second half and straightaway began to apply pressure on the visitors' defence.

Indeed the opening period of play following the restart was almost a direct reversal of what has happened in the first half, with Falkirk sitting back and absorbing wave after wave of assault.

'Keeper McGovern was called upon to parry away a menacing Scott Agnew shot before Mitch Megginson put in a volley that was deflected fractionally wide. It was a case of 'so close but so far' for Dumbarton.

Mark McLaughlin, booked moments earlier for a robust challenge on Roberts, then came close again for Sons when he got onto the end of a long throw from Scott Linton and flicked it narrowly past the post.

The match was turning into an end-to-end affair, with both teams looking dangerous on the break.

But it was Dumbarton who struck next, just beyond the hour, drawing level through a glancing header from Megginson into the bottom corner of the net after Colin Nish had put in a fine looping cross with his weaker foot.

The home supporters immediately began to get behind their team again, urging them forward in the hope of grasping the advantage Sons having fought their way manfully back into a match which could easily have slipped away from them.

Impressive loanee Chris Kane brought the ball down and turned swiftly in the area to fire in a shot. However his attempt was well blocked.

The momentum was clearly with Sons at this point. Free kicks won by Andy Graham, Mitch Megginson and Jordan Kirkpatrick respectively kept Falkirk under the cosh.

Then on 73 minutes came the goal that put Dumbarton into the lead and proved the eventual winner. It was Kirkpatrick who fired into the bottom corner from 20 yards with a viciously swerving ball struck with the outside of his foot. It took a slight deflection on the way, and therefore gave McGovern little chance though the big stopper certainly looked frustrated.

The roar of approval from Sons fans signalled a thrilling finale, as the home side went in search of a third goal while seeking to secure their lines, and Falkirk looked for an equaliser.

Gaffer Ian Murray made the first of two late substitutions when Michael Miller came on to replace Colin Nish on 81 minutes, before Megginson gave way to Steven McDougall on 85 minutes.

Kane fired just wide for Dumbarton from 18 yards out as the tannoy announcement came through that Jordan Kirkpatrick had deservedly been named Sonstrust Man of the Match.

Sons held on effectively for the remainder of the game to claim a vital three points with their 21 win against one of the SPFL Championship title contenders.

It was an exciting game of football overall, with sheer doggedness eventually winning out for Dumbarton, while Falkirk were left to rue their several missed opportunities.

Falkirk slip to third in the table and are now six points off leaders Dundee. Sons are in a highly creditable fifth place.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet