Dumbarton 1 - 0  Livingston

League - Championship
Saturday, August 30th, 2014, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 814
Referee: Barry Cook
Dumbarton v Livingston, Aug 30th 2014, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Livingston

Chris Kane (89)

Team Managers
Ian Murray John McGlynn

Starting Eleven
Danny Rogers
Andy Graham
Scott Linton
David van Zanten
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Taggart
Chris Turner
Colin Nish
Mitch Megginson
Darren Jamieson
Jason Talbot
Callum Fordyce
Declan Gallagher
Kyle Jacobs
Keaghan Jacobs
Burton O'Brien
Michael McKenna
Daniel Mullen
Gary Glen
Jordan White

Jamie Ewings
Keiran MacDonald
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Hugh Murray
Chris Kane
Steven McDougall
Archie Campbell
Paul Grant
Craig Sives
Robert Ogleby
David Robertson
Myles Hippolyte
Jack Beaumont

Keiran MacDonald for David van Zanten (33)
Chris Kane for Colin Nish (46)
Archie Campbell for Garry Fleming (76)
Robert Ogleby for Daniel Mullen (46)
David Robertson for Gary Glen (73)
Myles Hippolyte for Michael McKenna (73)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Danny Rogers (GK) 6 apps -
Andy Graham 85 apps6 goals
Scott Linton 42 apps1 goal
David van Zanten 7 apps -
Garry Fleming 71 apps10 goals
Mark Gilhaney 155 apps29 goals
Scott Taggart 4 apps -
Chris Turner 69 apps9 goals
Scott Agnew 118 apps31 goals
Colin Nish 45 apps7 goals
Mitch Megginson 50 apps13 goals
Keiran MacDonald (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Chris Kane (sub) 21 apps11 goals
Archie Campbell (sub) 7 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Danny Rogers (20 years 165 days)
Oldest Player:Colin Nish (33 years 184 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 67 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Chris Kane (19 years 364 days)
Oldest Player:Hugh Murray (35 years 243 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 249 days
Domestic Players:15 (83.33 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Keiran MacDonald(Signed )

Mitch Megginson played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

Dumbarton picked up their first points of the season with a dramatic, last-minute 1-0 win over Livingston.

Sons' boss Ian Murray commented after the match: “We didn't want to go into the international break down in the dumps”

He added: “A point was absolutely vital, but three points is perfect for us.”

A goal right at the death from substitute Chris Kane was enough to get Sons up and running for the 2014/15 league campaign.

After the 90 minutes were up, the match winner admitted: “I probably should have had three. You're not going to score every chance in a game, but two of my chances probably were easier than the goal.”

Dumbarton were unchanged from the side that suffered a midweek loss against Hibernian in the Scottish League Cup.

Livingston started the brighter of the two sides, showing no sign of fatigue after playing 120 minutes against Queen of the South during the week.

Home 'keeper Danny Rogers had to be quick on his feet to get to the other side of his goal, after a shot from the edge of the area was deflected towards the opposite corner from where it was headed. The goalie making a good save to push the ball around the post.

Gary Glen then had a chance for the visitors. His header went wide after he was left unmarked from a corner.

Sons created their first opportunity of the game shortly after. Scott Linton whipped in a fine ball, Colin Nish made a great run to the front post and headed towards goal, but his powerful effort went just wide.

Dumbarton captain Andy Graham was in fine form all afternoon, making an important interception to head the ball behind for a corner.

David van Zanten then had to come off for the hosts. He had earlier received treatment on his knee, but manager Ian Murray said after the match “Vanzy will be fine. He jarred his knee.”

He was replaced by Kieran MacDonald, making his Dumbarton debut after joining on loan from Hamilton Accies during the week.

Chris Turner and Nish both had chances in the penalty area for the hosts, but neither could put the ball in the net.

The best chance of the half fell to Livingston on the stroke of half-time.

Livingston's Glen latched on to a ball to get in behind the Dumbarton defence, but with just Rogers to beaten, fired the ball wide of the mark from a tight angle.

At half time, Chris Kane, who had joined back on loan from St Johnstone on Friday, replaced Colin Nish, who was suffering from toothache pain.

It was clear that Kane was going to pick up from where he left off in his previous loan spell. His pace, constant running and eye for goal caused Livingston problems throughout the second half.

In the opening few moments of his second debut, the St Johnstone loanee created a chance out of nothing with Darren Jamieson saving his shot.

Just before this, Callum Fordyce had a header from a corner well saved by Rogers after he got across his goal to hold the ball.

The visitors hit the bar moments later. Substitute Robert Ogelby saw his cross met by Keaghan Jacobs. However, his header hit the bar and bounced clear.

From there on in, Dumbarton took control of the game with Livingston creating any few additional chances.

Chris Kane put a low cross in the box for Garry Fleming. He played the ball back to Scott Agnew, whose effort was bravely blocked by a defender.

Mitch Megginson called Jamieson into action moments later. He cut in from the left and curled for the far corner. But the Livingston 'keeper made a fine save to get his fingertips to the ball.

It was Kane's turn to bring a save out of Jamieson moments later. He was slipped through by Megginson, but his effort was blocked by a trailing hand from the stopper, before a defender put the ball over the bar.

The ever-lively Kane had two more attempts before he got his goal. First, he shot wide from 20 yards before forcing Jamieson into another save, as his attempt for the bottom corner was well beaten away.

Then, on the 89th minute, Kane got the goal he, and perhaps Dumbarton, deserved.

Livingston failed to clear their lines from a corner, and Sons made them pay. Agnew clipped the ball into the six-yard box. Kane got in front of his man to head the ball into the back of the net, sending Sons fans, players and staff into pandemonium.

The hosts managed to hold on, with one last scare being averted thanks to a terrific challenge from Man of the Match Graham.

Match report by Jack Crawford

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet