Dumbarton 0 - 3 Rangers 

League - Championship
Saturday, October 25th, 2014, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 1,850
Referee: Andrew Dallas
Dumbarton v Rangers, Oct 25th 2014, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Rangers

None. Kenny Miller (26)
Lee Wallace (61)
Kris Boys (72)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Ally McCoist

Starting Eleven
Danny Rogers
Andy Graham
David van Zanten
Scott Linton
Lee Mair
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Mark Gilhaney
Mitch Megginson
Colin Nish
Steve Simonsen
Lee McCulloch
Richard Foster
Darren McGregor
Lee Wallace
Steven Smith
Nicky Law
Lewis MacLeod
Fraser Aird
Kris Boyd
Kenny Miller

Jamie Ewings
Mark McLaughlin
Chris Turner
Keiran MacDonald
Steven McDougall
Archie Campbell
Lee Robinson
Sebastien Faure
Kyle Hutton
Dean Shiels
Nicky Clark
Jon Daly
David Templeton

Keiran MacDonald for Jordan Kirkpatrick (35)
Archie Campbell for David van Zanten (67)
Chris Turner for Mitch Megginson (79)
David Templeton for Steven Smith (76)
Jon Daly for Kris Boyd (82)
Nicky Clark for Kenny Miller (84)

Garry Fleming (41)
David van Zanten (43)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Danny Rogers (GK) 13 apps -
Lee Mair 5 apps -
Andy Graham 92 apps6 goals
David van Zanten 14 apps -
Scott Linton 49 apps1 goal
Scott Agnew 125 apps31 goals
Garry Fleming 78 apps11 goals
Mark Gilhaney 162 apps29 goals
Jordan Kirkpatrick 49 apps9 goals
Mitch Megginson 57 apps13 goals
Colin Nish 52 apps8 goals
Chris Turner (sub) 70 apps9 goals
Keiran MacDonald (sub) 7 apps -
Archie Campbell (sub) 14 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Danny Rogers (20 years 221 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Mair (33 years 328 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 318 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Danny Rogers (20 years 221 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 337 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 22 days
Domestic Players:14 (82.35 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


DUMBARTON fought hard against Rangers in their first competitive encounter at the Rock, but ended up going down by three goals and a comfortable win for the visitors.

While the Glasgow side had significantly more of the possession, both teams showed attacking determination and invention in an intense opening 45 minutes.

However, it was really only after the break that Sons began to string some moves together being undone by a lack of cutting edge in the final third and two fine finishes from Rangers.

A couple of early long throws from Scott Linton for Dumbarton were defended effectively by the Ibrox men, before Lee Wallace got a shot in for them. It went well over the bar.

Rangers soon started to push the ball around and make the pace. A mix-up at the back for Sons was almost punished by Nicky Law.

Then 'keeper Danny Rogers slipped and almost let in a tantalizing cross from danger man Kenny Miller.

The first chance for the home team came when Garry Fleming shot wide from the edge of the area.

A corner for Dumbarton was cleared. Moments later a cross from Mitch Megginson swung across the area but cleared everyone.

Sons could have been ahead when Mark Gilhaney capitalized on a defensive slip, ran to the goal line and turned the ball back for Colin Nish.

Unfortunately it was just behind the oncoming striker, and a golden opportunity was gone.

'Keeper Rogers was the hero for Dumbarton when he turned away a penalty from Lee McCulloch after David van Zanten had been harshly adjudged to have committed a foul in the area on 24 minutes.

But on 26 minutes, a lapse of concentration and a good Steven Smith assist allowed Kenny Miller to drive home the ball to put Rangers 1-0 in front.

Just after the half hour the injured Jordan Kirkpatrick came off to be replaced by Kieran MacDonald for Dumbarton.

Most of the pressure was still coming from Rangers, but a curling shot from eventual Sonstrust man of the Match Mark Gilhaney saved by Steve Simonsen.

Then a long throw from Linton was headed on by Nish, with his flick ending up on the roof of the net.

For Rangers, Kris Boyd, who had looked threatening on occasions, headed wide when he probably could have been expected to do better.

Before half-time, David van Zanten was given a yellow card for dissent by referee Andrew Dallas, after being penalized for a 50/50 tackle on Smith.

Sons enjoyed a good spell of pressure early in the second half, coming close through a deflected Colin Nish header and a decent strike from Mitch Megginson, which was nonetheless easily saved.

At the other end Rogers did extremely well to block and grasp a low shot when one-on-one from Kenny Miller, after the Blues forward had burst through the home defence.

Just beforehand Kris Boyd had also been denied by the in-form goalie, who used his feet to stop the ball.

On 61 minutes Lee Wallace made it 2-0 to the visitors with a fast move followed by a low, slanted drive into the far corner of the net from the right.

Archie Campbell was brought on for van Zanten by Sons gaffer Ian Murray on 67 minutes.

He soon proved his worth, zoning in on the Rangers goal before being denied by a very solid tackle.

A well-executed header from Kris Boyd extended the lead to a comfortable three goals for Rangers on 73 minutes, ending any hopes of a late Dumbarton revival.

There was another man off injured for Dumbarton on 79 minutes. Chris Turner, easing himself back after a period out, was the substitute for Mitch Megginson.

It took a further good save from Danny Rogers to push a Lewis MacLeod shot aside and deny Rangers a fourth goal.

In the end the visitors could have had one or two more goals but for some lackadaisical finishing. Equally, at east one of Sons' chances could have been finished.

There was no denying that the superior side one, but Dumbarton manager Ian Murray was still full of praise for the effort and determination showed by his team.

The two sides face each other at the Rock again next Saturday, in the third round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info