Falkirk 1 - 1 Dumbarton

League - Championship
Saturday, September 20th, 2014, 3:00 PM at Falkirk Stadium
Attendance: 3,503
Referee: Kevin Graham
Falkirk v Dumbarton, Sep 20th 2014, Falkirk Stadium
Falkirk Dumbarton 

Craig Sibbald (4) Chris Kane (90)

Team Managers
Peter Houston Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Jamie MacDonald
Will Vaulks
Luke Leahy
David McCracken
Joe Shaughnessy
Tom Taiwo
Owain Tudor-Jones
Craig Sibbald
David Smith
Blair Alston
Rory Loy
Danny Rogers
Andy Graham
David van Zanten
Scott Linton
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Taggart
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Chris Kane
Mitch Megginson

Alex Cooper
Scott Shepherd
Botti Bia Bi
Graham Bowman
Liam Dick
Liam Rowan
Rory Boulding
Jamie Ewings
Lee Mair
Mark McLaughlin
Keiran MacDonald
Steven McDougall
Archie Campbell
Colin Nish

Scott Shepherd for David Smith (69)
Alex Cooper for Tom Taiwo (77)
Botti Bia Bi for Rory Loy (87)
Colin Nish for Jordan Kirkpatrick (62)
Archie Campbell for Mitch Megginson (68)
Steven McDougall for Garry Fleming (75)

Will Vaulks (30)
Owain Tudur-Jones (45)
David McCracken (80)
Chris Kane (77)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Danny Rogers (GK) 8 apps -
Andy Graham 87 apps6 goals
David van Zanten 9 apps -
Scott Linton 44 apps1 goal
Mark Gilhaney 157 apps29 goals
Scott Taggart 6 apps -
Jordan Kirkpatrick 44 apps8 goals
Scott Agnew 120 apps31 goals
Garry Fleming 73 apps10 goals
Chris Kane 23 apps12 goals
Mitch Megginson 52 apps13 goals
Colin Nish (sub) 47 apps7 goals
Archie Campbell (sub) 9 apps -
Steven McDougall (sub) 57 apps7 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Chris Kane (20 years 20 days)
Oldest Player:David van Zanten (32 years 143 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 198 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Chris Kane (20 years 20 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McLaughlin (38 years 302 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 91 days
Domestic Players:16 (88.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


AFTER a difficult start, conceding a goal early, Dumbarton came back in the second half away at Falkirk to claim an important point with a late revival.

Sons players wore black armbands in memory of young supporter Kirsty Mackie, who tragically passed away this past week. Visiting fans gave a loud minute's applause at the start of the game in tribute.

Falkirk looked sharper and quicker for most of the opening 45 minutes, stringing together a series of flowing moves.

The home side went ahead on just four minutes, as Craig Sibbald ran through Sons defence and nodded home after a series of missed tackles.

Shortly afterwards, some great play from Chris Kane enabled him to run in behind the Falkirk defence. However a superb challenge stopped him getting a shot away.

Loy, Tudor Jones and Smith were among those menacing for Falkirk, as Sons were forced to up their defensive game and start to hit back on the counter.

Danny Rogers denied Smith with a superb, stretching save.

Scott Agnew had the first real sight of goal for Dumbarton as he tried a shot from range.

But it never looked like causing any damage, and the Bairns were soon on the move forward again.

Kane remained the Sons' chief danger man, being pulled down on one break for the area late in the first half, and almost setting up Mark Gilhaney for a shot late on.

Nevertheless, it could have been one or two more for Falkirk before the break, as they pressed hard and cracked one shot against the crossbar.

In the second half Dumbarton started more positively, putting in a series of crosses from Kane, Scott Linton and Gilhaney, but not quite being able to capitalise on them.

At the other end 'keeper Danny Rogers pulled off a miraculous twisting, fingertip save at full stretch from Owain Tudor Jones on 54 minutes.

Just after the hour Sons made their first switch of the afternoon, with striker Colin Nish coming on for Jordan Kirkpatrick.

Substitutions necessitated a series of changes which shaped the team into a 4-3-3 formation as Archie Campbell replaced Mitch Megginson on 68 minutes.

The momentum remained with a confident looking Falkirk.

The home side had not managed to extend their advantage, and Dumbarton were looking better than in the opening period.

Garry Fleming was taken off for Stephen MacDougall in the final switch of the afternoon on 75 minutes for the visitors.

Then after a 20-minute period in which Falkirk had looked comfortably in control, Sons came back into contention strongly in the last quarter of an hour.

Gaffer Ian Murray's intention of renewing the strike force for a final assault worked well.

Chris Kane and Archie Campbell had chances scrambled away before Colin Nish dived in to push the ball just wide on the end of a fierce Campbell cross.

The reward finally came in the second minute of time added on as Dumbarton's Kane pressed the ball home in a packed area, to secure a deserved draw.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info