Falkirk 3 - 3 Dumbarton

League - Championship
Saturday, January 31st, 2015, 3:00 PM at Falkirk Stadium
Attendance: 3,703
Referee: George Salmond
Falkirk v Dumbarton, Jan 31st 2015, Falkirk Stadium
Falkirk Dumbarton 

Craig Sibbald (21)
Luke Leahy (35)
David Smith (80)
Scott Taggart (19)
Darren Petrie (63)
Archie Campbell (71)

Team Managers
Peter Houston Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Jamie MacDonald
Kieran Duffie
Will Vaulks
Peter Grant
Luke Leahy
David McCracken
Blair Alston
Craig Sibbald
Mark Kerr
Rory Loy
John Baird
Danny Rogers
Andy Graham
Stuart Findlay
Scott Linton
Scott Taggart
Mark Gilhaney
Darren Petrie
Scott Agnew
Dylan Easton
Mitch Megginson
Archie Campbell

Graham Bowman
Thomas Taiwo
David Smith
Liam Dick
Alex Cooper
Botti Bia Bi
Taylor Morgan
Jamie Ewings
Lee Mair
Donald McCallum
Keir Whitefield

David Smith for Blair Alston (68)
Botti Bia Bi for Mark Kerr (77)
Donald McCallum for Archie Campbell (90)
Lee Mair for Scott Linton (90)

None. Mark Gilhaney (86)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Danny Rogers (GK) 23 apps -
Stuart Findlay 3 apps -
Scott Linton 57 apps1 goal
Andy Graham 105 apps8 goals
Darren Petrie 1 app (debut)1 goal
Scott Agnew 138 apps33 goals
Scott Taggart 22 apps1 goal
Mark Gilhaney 172 apps29 goals
Mitch Megginson 70 apps15 goals
Archie Campbell 26 apps2 goals
Dylan Easton 2 apps -
Lee Mair (sub) 15 apps1 goal
Donald McCallum (sub) 3 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Stuart Findlay (19 years 144 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Graham (31 years 139 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 33 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Keir Whitefield (17 years 121 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Mair (34 years 61 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 130 days
Domestic Players:14 (93.33 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Darren Petrie(Signed )

Darren Petrie scored his first goal for the Club.
Scott Taggart scored his first goal for the Club.

DUMBARTON secured an important point on the road against SPFL Championship form team Falkirk in this game, with a busy 3-3 draw that was very nearly a victory.

“It's a great point after a difficult run of defeats,” commented Sons gaffer Ian Murray after the match. “We could have had even more.”

The manager had been forced into a number of changes in the build up to the game, following losses against Rangers, Hearts and Livingston.

Out went David van Zanten and Chris Turner through injury, along with Lee Mair, who returned to the bench.

Replacing the trio in the starting line-up were Mark Gilhaney, returning from attention to a broken nose, Scott Taggart, and Darren Petrie – the new loan player from Premiership side Dundee United.

Dumbarton started brightly and went ahead on 19 minutes when Scott Taggart struck home from close range to claim his first goal for the Sons.

However, Craig Sibbald then equalised for the Bairns just two minutes later.

From that point onwards the home side then began to apply real pressure and went ahead before the break from a Luke Leahy goal.

Both the home side's goals involved deflections and although they had enjoyed more possession the late blow was a little harsh on Dumbarton.

In the second half Sons continued the fight back they had commenced towards the end of the opening period.

But in truth Falkirk, an accomplished side looking to build on a solid run, still looked well in control much of the time.

Nevertheless, the visitors were rewarded for dogged perseverance on 63 minutes when Darren Petrie claimed his first goal in a Dumbarton shirt with a firm strike past Falkirk goalie MacDonald.

Then to the delight of an enthusiastic away support, Sons went ahead on 71 minutes thanks to a cracker from Archie Campbell.

Dumbarton were desperate to cling on, but it was not to be. Falkirk launched wave after wave of attack.

The match was set up for a tense finale when David Smith equalised on 80 minutes.

The Bairns went on the assault once more, sensing the real possibility of snatching a victory from what had looked like points lost.

From that point on, however, Sons steadied their nerves and organized themselves well to claim a vital point against a well-equipped Falkirk side.

Next week Dumbarton benefit from a cup break. Then on 14 January they have a critical home match against strugglers Cowdenbeath.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Programme cover / Team sheet