Dumbarton 1 - 2 Cowdenbeath 

League - Championship
Saturday, February 14th, 2015, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 756
Referee: Don Robertson
Dumbarton v Cowdenbeath, Feb 14th 2015, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Cowdenbeath

Scott Taggart (34)
Darren Brownie (70)
Kudus Oyenuga (73)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Jimmy Nicholl

Starting Eleven
Danny Rogers
Scott Linton
Stuart Findlay
Andy Graham
Garry Fleming
Scott Taggart
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Dylan Easton
Mitch Megginson
Archie Campbell
Robbie Thomson
Kenny Adamson
Thomas O'Brien
Darren Brownlie
Lewis Toshney
John Herron
Chris Kane
Kyle Miller
Colin Marshall
Colin Nish
Kudus Oyenuga

Jamie Ewings
Mark Wilson
Lee Mair
Chris Turner
Donald McCallum
Darren Petrie
Nathaniel Wedderburn
Jon Robertson
Lewis Milne
Sean Higgins
Robert Buchanan
Jamie Sneddon
Declan Hughes

Chris Turner for Mark Gilhaney (80)
Mark Wilson for Scott Linton (86)
Sean Higgins for Kudus Oyenuga (82)

Dylan Easton (90)
Colin Nish (47)
Thomas O'Brien (57)
Lewis Toshney (62)
Colin Marshall (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Danny Rogers (GK) 24 apps -
Scott Linton 58 apps1 goal
Stuart Findlay 4 apps -
Andy Graham 106 apps8 goals
Garry Fleming 90 apps14 goals
Scott Taggart 23 apps2 goals
Mark Gilhaney 173 apps29 goals
Scott Agnew 139 apps33 goals
Dylan Easton 3 apps -
Mitch Megginson 71 apps15 goals
Archie Campbell 27 apps2 goals
Mark Wilson (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Chris Turner (sub) 82 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Stuart Findlay (19 years 158 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Graham (31 years 153 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 319 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Donald McCallum (18 years 144 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Mair (34 years 75 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 219 days
Domestic Players:15 (88.24 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Mark Wilson(Signed )


A POSITIVE start for Dumbarton turned into a disappointing defeat at the Rock this afternoon, as Cowdenbeath struck twice after the break to claim a 2-1 win.

Sons were comfortably the better team in a physical first half, but it all fell apart after the break, as the home side missed a penalty and the Blue Brazil fired themselves up to push the Sons back into a relegation dogfight at the foot of the SPFL Championship.

Disappointed manager Ian Murray acknowledged that the penalty incident played a significant part in the outcome, but was not prepared to be accusatory over it.

After the match he told waiting journalists: “Some weeks these things change games and in others they don't.

“There is no blame attached to Scott at all because he has been great for us and I thought he recovered from it really well actually. After he missed it he took the ball, he wanted to play which was good to see.

“There is no doubt the game turned on that incident though. We'll have to go and analyse what happened.

“We felt in full control of the game. There is always that element of doubt when you miss a penalty or a big chance that it will come back to haunt you and today it did.

“They scored the equaliser from our own corner which is probably the most disappointing thing of the game rather than the penalty miss.”

The early initiative was with Sons.

A good cross from Scott Linton was flicked on by Archie Campbell and met by Garry Fleming at the back post.

His header was saved just before referee Don Robertson spotted the offside flag on the side of the pitch.

At the other end, Sons escaped damage in a goalmouth scramble before Danny Rogers came into action to push a dangerous-looking Kudus Oyunega effort around the post.

Scott Agnew and Dylan Easton came close from range as several other through-balls went begging for Dumbarton.

Then ex-Son Colin Nish, playing only his second game for his new charges, headed the ball down for Oyunega but the Cowdenbeath man skewed it wide.

A crunching tackle from Linton on the edge of the box stopped Kane getting a shot away as Cowden pushed back.

Mostly, however, Sons were dominating possession, even if the game was not quite sparking and seeing the definitive chances the fans were looking for.

On 34 minutes Dumbarton finally made their advantage show, as Scott Taggart drove home from just outside the box following some hectic goalmouth action and the visitors' failure to clear their lines. 1-0 to Dumbarton.

Neither side added to the scoreline before the break, although the last of several superb runs up the pitch from Cowden's Stuart Findlay almost threatened an equalizer.

The pace increased after the restart, with both teams looking urgent on the break, but Sons increasingly being pressed deep.

Nish took an early booking for the Blue Brazil, while for the first time at the Rock a foam spray can was used to mark ten yards from a free kick outside Sons' area.

Then came a key moment in the match. Dumbarton won a penalty twelve minutes into the second half, when Garry Fleming was brought down on the edge of the area.

However, Cowden keeper Robbie Thomson followed his extravagant protests and yellow card with a fine, diving save to turn Scott Agnew's low, driving spot-kick wide.

Moments later, Cowden were up the other end, almost claiming a penalty of their own and looking threatening. The miss had given them heart.

Sure enough, on 69 minutes, Darren Brownlie equalized for the visitors with a fierce shot in off the crossbar.

Not long afterwards, from more slack set-play response, Kudus Oyenga powered home a loose ball to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

Sons countered, but just could not find a way back. Rogers was called into action to thwart a third Cowden goal.

Gaffer Murray made his first switch for Dumbarton with just over ten minutes left on the clock, as Chris Turner replaced Mark Gilhaney.

Mark Wilson then came on for Dylan Easton six minutes later, as Sons threw everything into the last-ditch business of trying to salvage a point.

It was not to be. Next up for the men from the Rock is a trip to Easter Road to face high-flyers Hibernian.

The pressure is now on Dumbarton, with one home win in the last nine games at the Rock.

However, the Sons do remain eight points clear of part-time rivals Alloa, with Livingston beaten this weekend by Hearts and still rooted firmly at the foot of the table.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet