Raith Rovers 1 - 0 Dumbarton

League - Championship
Saturday, September 26th, 2015, 3:00 PM at Starks Park
Attendance: 1,440
Referee: Barry Cook
Raith Rovers v Dumbarton, Sep 26th 2015, Starks Park
Raith Rovers Dumbarton 

Lewis Toshney (56) None.

Team Managers
Ray McKinnon Stevie Aitken

Starting Eleven
Kevin Cuthbert
Jason Thomson
Lewis Toshney
Kyle Benedictus
Rory McKeown
Grant Anderson
Ryan McCord
Craig Wighton
James Craigen
Mark Stewart
Jon Daly
Mark Brown
Frazer Wright
Mark Docherty
Darren Barr
Garry Fleming
Grant Gallagher
Willie Gibson
Scott Brown
Jon Routledge
Eamonn Brophy
Kevin Cawley

Darren Petrie
Mitch Megginson
Ross Matthews
Ross Laidlaw
Laurie Ellis
Kieran Campbell
Sean Mackie
Jamie Ewings
Calum Waters
Mikey Hopkins
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Donald McCallum
Steven Ross

Ross Matthews for Ryan McCord (46)
Mitch Megginson for Grant Anderson (64)
Darren Petrie for Craig Wighton (78)
Steven Ross for Garry Fleming (78)
Jordan Kirkpatrick for Willie Gibson (78)
Donald McCallum for Eamonn Brophy (86)

Kyle Benedictus (45)
Kevin Cuthbert (60)
Ross Matthews (72)
Rory McKeown (90)
Darren Barr (50)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 11 apps -
Frazer Wright 4 apps -
Mark Docherty 9 apps -
Darren Barr 9 apps1 goal
Garry Fleming 112 apps19 goals
Grant Gallagher 11 apps2 goals
Willie Gibson 11 apps2 goals
Scott Brown 6 apps -
Jon Routledge 11 apps -
Eamonn Brophy 3 apps -
Kevin Cawley 11 apps1 goal
Jordan Kirkpatrick (sub) 68 apps10 goals
Donald McCallum (sub) 6 apps2 goals
Steven Ross (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Eamonn Brophy (19 years 204 days)
Oldest Player:Frazer Wright (35 years 286 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 278 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Mikey Hopkins (18 years 141 days)
Oldest Player:Frazer Wright (35 years 286 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 304 days
Domestic Players:16 (94.12 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


THE fairest possible outcome for this game would be that both sides took a 0-0 draw and we all went home. But football doesn't always deal in fair results. Or maybe it did here. Raith Rovers put the ball in the net once, through Lewis Toshney's close range finish on 56 minutes. Dumbarton didn't. This certainly isn't a game they'll be talking about for years to come at Dumbarton. In fact, despite their victory, Raith probably won't be either. Scrappy, dull and lifeless for long spells, this was hardly a glowing advert for Ladbrokes SPFL Championship football. However, the reason for Sons' defeat was obvious to everybody at Stark's Park. The blank scoresheet was not entirely down to misfiring strikers.

The visitors struggled to create chances for much of the afternoon, with only a brief early second half spell showing much promise. Defensively they were reasonably solid and the physical side of midfield won more battles than it lost. But the lack of goals continues to be a concern. The start they made was fairly positive, with Eamonn Brophy seeing off a challenge to go for goal on 11 minutes, but his shot went across goal and wide. The first half then simply meandered along until 10 minutes from the interval, when Mark Stewart's low shot for the home side rolled straight through to Mark Brown. The striker then had an even clearer chance five minutes from half time, with almost the entire goal to aim at from a loose ball. However, an excellent challenge from Frazer Wright, restored in place of the suspended Gregor Buchanan, kept him out.

Eight minutes after the restart Garry Fleming's cross found Kevin Cawley at the back post, but his header was just over. And just three minutes later that missed opportunity was regretted when a free kick was fired into the Sons area. The ball was headed back across goal, and Toshney was left with a simple headed finish. Just short of the hour mark Cawley again went close, with his six-yard effort deflected clear by a defender. And then everybody sat and waited again. Waited for some sort of clearcut chance at either end. There was little sign of one. With 11 minutes remaining Brown did well to save Jon Daly's overhead kick. His opposite number, Kevin Cuthbert, saw hardly any serious action as his team-mates saw the game out.

Match report by Andy Galloway

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Programme cover / Team sheet