Dumbarton 2 - 1 Queen of the South 

Scottish Cup - 4th Round
Saturday, January 9th, 2016, 3:00 PM at CID Stadium
Attendance: 680
Referee: George Salmond
Dumbarton v Queen of the South, Jan 9th 2016, CID Stadium
Dumbarton  Queen of the South

Garry Fleming (17)
Garry Fleming (57)
Derek Lyle (52)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken James Fowler

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Calum Waters
Steven Saunders
Mark Docherty
Frazer Wright
Gregor Buchanan
Garry Fleming
Jamie Lindsay
Grant Gallagher
Jon Routledge
Kevin Cawley
Robbie Thomson
Lewis Kidd
Andy Dowie
Chris Higgins
Mark Millar
Derek Lyle
Iain Russell
Kyle Jacobs
Kyle Hutton
Jordan Marshall
Gary Oliver

Nathan Adger
Mikey Hopkins
Scott Taggart
Donald McCallum
Jordan Kirkpatrick
John Cunningham
Steven Craig
James Atkinson
Ryan Conroy
Owen Moxon
Aidan Smith
Jake Pickard
Darren Brownlie
Alex Harris

Scott Taggart for Calum Waters (75)
Jordan Kirkpatrick for Kevin Cawley (86)
Steven Craig for Garry Fleming (89)
Darren Brownlie for Chris Higgins (67)
Alex Harris for Kyle Jacobs (72)
Jake Pickard for Lewis Kidd (83)

Steven Saunders (15)
Calum Waters (68)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 25 apps -
Calum Waters 12 apps1 goal
Steven Saunders 10 apps3 goals
Mark Docherty 22 apps1 goal
Frazer Wright 14 apps -
Gregor Buchanan 19 apps1 goal
Garry Fleming 126 apps24 goals
Jamie Lindsay 14 apps -
Grant Gallagher 25 apps4 goals
Jon Routledge 25 apps -
Kevin Cawley 22 apps2 goals
Jordan Kirkpatrick (sub) 78 apps12 goals
Scott Taggart (sub) 44 apps2 goals
Steven Craig (sub) 14 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Calum Waters (19 years 309 days)
Oldest Player:Frazer Wright (36 years 26 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 331 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nathan Adger (17 years 78 days)
Oldest Player:Frazer Wright (36 years 26 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 36 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


THREE of Scotland's Premiership clubs, including two of the top four, are out.

Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Hamilton Accies will have no Scottish Cup fifth round tie to look forward to on Saturday, February 6.

Dumbarton will.

Courtesy of their first home win over Queen of the South for 24 years, Sons will be one of the final 16 teams left in this season's competition.

Garry Fleming got the goals that saw them through one each side of Derek Lyle's equaliser for the Dumfries club.

The contest was engrossing and, right up until Mark Brown's crucial injury time save to deny Mark Millar, it was impossible to hand the spoils to either side.

And if you enjoyed it, then good news the teams will reconvene at the Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium, this time on league business, next Saturday.

It's a match that both teams will be up for Queens on the basis of revenge for a fixture where they felt hard done by in the build-up to Fleming's opener. Dumbarton because, after a couple of tough fixtures, the grit required to get results has been rediscovered.

Sons certainly wasted no time in responding to last week's crushing defeat by Rangers. Within the opening five minutes, Grant Gallagher's low shot was turned wide while Jamie Lindsay saw a bending effort go just wide.

But on 17 minutes Gallagher put Fleming through to open the scoring. With Queens looking for a foul on Iain Russell, the referee paid no attention to the appeals. Neither did the Sons players, with Gallagher sending Fleming clear to drill home an angled finish.

Sons continued on top, with Kevin Cawley heading Calum Waters' cross past, before Queens produced their closest opening of the half.

Gary Oliver got within six yards of goal, but Mark Docherty, however much he knew about it, did enough to deflect the shot wide.

Right on half time, Jon Routledge also went close to extending the lead, sending a vicious shot just wide.

However, within six minutes of starting the second half with the wind advantage, the visitors levelled.

A corner dropped in a threatening position in the area and Lyle finished from close range.

But it only took another six minutes for the lead to be restored. Having done the hard work, Cawley rolled the ball through for Fleming, who stroked it home.

Russell fired wide for Queens only minutes later, while another Waters cross resulted in Gregor Buchanan firing over.

As the game entered its final few minutes, its ending was still uncertain. Even more so when Lyle met Millar's free kick and his effort hit the post.

Substitute Scott Taggart then showed great improvisation to meet Fleming's cross, but his header was turned away.

Then, with three added minutes played, Millar ran through at an angle, similar to Fleming's opening goal.

But Brown was up to it and the first Saturday in February WILL be a day of match action for Sons.

Match report by Andy Galloway

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet