Dumbarton 0 - 2 East Fife 

League Cup - Group A
Tuesday, July 19th, 2016, 7:45 PM at Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium
Attendance: 452
Referee: Craig Charleston
Dumbarton v East Fife, Jul 19th 2016, Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium
Dumbarton  East Fife

None. Kevin Smith (19)
Paul McManus (39)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken Gary Naysmith

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Mark Docherty
Craig Pettigrew
Gregor Buchanan
Ryan Stevenson
Andy Stirling
Garry Fleming
Grant Gallagher
Josh Todd
David Smith
Robert Thomson
Ryan Goodfellow
Scott Mercer
Jonathan Page
Jason Kerr
Gary Naysmith
Mark Lamont
Chris Kane
Scott Robinson
Kyle Wilkie
Paul McManus
Kevin Smith

Jamie Barclay
Darren Barr
Ryan Clark
Amadou Kassarate
Donald McCallum
Chris Duggan
Pat Slattery
Ross Brown
Jordan Austin
Brodie Gray
William Muir
Ross Mutch

Donald McCallum for David Smith (70)
Chris Duggan for Paul McManus (65)
Ross Brown for Mark Lamont (72)
Pat Slattery for Chris Duggan (82)

Garry Fleming (76)
Robert Thomson (80)
Scott Robinson (48)
Gary Naysmith (76)

Red Cards
Grant Gallagher (56)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 29 apps -
Mark Docherty 41 apps2 goals
Craig Pettigrew 2 apps -
Gregor Buchanan 39 apps1 goal
Ryan Stevenson 2 apps -
Andy Stirling 2 apps -
Garry Fleming 145 apps28 goals
Grant Gallagher 39 apps5 goals
Josh Todd 2 apps -
David Smith 2 apps -
Robert Thomson 2 apps -
Donald McCallum (sub) 21 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Josh Todd (22 years 44 days)
Oldest Player:Mark Brown (35 years 150 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 143 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ryan Clark (18 years 357 days)
Oldest Player:Mark Brown (35 years 150 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 65 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


NOBODY expected it to be easy. But this was hard to envisage.

This was Dumbarton's second consecutive Betfred Cup tie as favourites. In their first, they came away with a point.

But first half goals for East Fife by Kevin Smith and Paul McManus condemned them to a defeat in their first competitive home outing.

And with squad numbers already stretched, Grant Gallagher was dismissed 10 minutes into the second half for violent conduct.

Sons were lacklustre from the early stages of the game to the dying embers, and by manager Stevie Aitken's own admission, "not good enough" to warrant any sort of result.

They were run ragged by a busy and creative East Fife side, newly promoted to League One as champions of the lower division.

The game did make a fairly even start, with Mark Brown punching a diagonal ball clear for a corner before McManus could reach it.

In response, Sons threatened with long distance shots from Andy Stirling and Craig Pettigrew, both of which went over.

But in 18 minutes, Scott Mercer sent over a cross from the right which Smith, a Sons player for the later half of 2013, headed home from six yards.

Not a fatal blow for the home side by any means - there were still 72 minutes left. However, the longer those went on, the more the Fifers looked likely to extend their lead.

Kyle Wilkie was set up in a promising position on the edge of the area only for his shot to go straight at Brown, but on 38 minutes the deficit was doubled.

After East Fife successfully completed several passes towards Sons' area, McManus tapped home from close range.

Had Mark Lamont made clean contact with an attempted volley a minute from half time, the scoreline could have made even worse reading. As it was, Brown saved.

The hope was that a response was coming from Sons after regrouping at the interval, but another blow came on 55 minutes.

Gallagher swung a boot at Smith in frustration and was shown a straight red card, making the task of getting back into the game even harder.

In quick succession, Lamont and McManus had further chances, but neither was able to extend the Fifers' lead.

The introduction of Donald McCallum as a substitute offered more attacking threat, and on 74 minutes he did well to create an opening for himself.

But after beating two defenders, he could not get his shot away and when Robert Thomson also missed out on the loose ball, the chance was gone.

Josh Todd, making his starting debut, was also unlucky after cutting into the area from the right, but his left foot shot was saved low at the keeper's near post.

There was one final opportunity for Thomson in injury time, but his volley was beaten away by the keeper.

The horse, though, had long bolted. Whatever else Sons had by the end of the evening, they could have no doubt that better has to be produced in the games to come.

Match report by Andy Galloway

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet