Dumbarton 1 - 0 Dundee United 

League - Championship
Saturday, August 13th, 2016, 3:00 PM at Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium
Attendance: 1,475
Referee: Gavin Duncan
Dumbarton v Dundee United, Aug 13th 2016, Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium
Dumbarton  Dundee United

Mark Docherty (pen.) (54)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Alan Martin
Daniel Harvie
Craig Pettigrew
Gregor Buchanan
Mark Docherty
Ryan Stevenson
Grant Gallagher
Joe Thomson
Josh Todd
David Smith
Robert Thomson
Cammy Bell
Mark Durnan
Coll Donaldson
Lewis Toshney
Blair Spittal
Stewart Murdoch
Scott Fraser
Topi Obadeyi
Cammy Smuth
Willo Flood
Jamie Robson

Jamie Barclay
Amadou Kassarate
Donald McCallum
Andy Stirling
Ryan Clark
Luis Zwick
Sean Dillon
Simon Murray
Charlie Telfer
Ali Coote
Nick Van Der Velden
Harry Souttar

Andy Stirling for Grant Gallagher (81)
Simon Murray for Blair Spittal (63)
Nick Van Der Velden for Topi Obadeyi (63)
Charlie Telfer for Cammy Smith (83)

Joe Thomson (30)
David Smith (73)
Robert Thomson (79)
Cammy Bell (54)
Coll Donaldson (80)
Mark Durnan (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Martin (GK) 2 apps -
Craig Pettigrew 6 apps -
Gregor Buchanan 43 apps2 goals
Mark Docherty 45 apps5 goals
Daniel Harvie 2 apps -
Josh Todd 6 apps -
David Smith 6 apps1 goal
Ryan Stevenson 6 apps1 goal
Grant Gallagher 40 apps5 goals
Joe Thomson 2 apps -
Robert Thomson 6 apps2 goals
Andy Stirling (sub) 6 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Daniel Harvie (18 years 35 days)
Oldest Player:Ryan Stevenson (31 years 362 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 40 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Daniel Harvie (18 years 35 days)
Oldest Player:Ryan Stevenson (31 years 362 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 116 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


THAT'S why more than 500 Dumbarton fans came back.

Why, despite a Betfred Cup campaign with no victories, and a league opener which saw four goals conceded, they weren't going to miss this.

Because you just don't know when you're going to witness something special. It could come at any time.

And in years to come, they will be able to say that when Dumbarton beat the newly-relegated Dundee United, they were there.

The third penalty awarded to Sons in two games was the golden moment on 54 minutes. Mark Durnan fouled Gregor Buchanan in the area and Mark Docherty made himself outright top scorer by converting.

On another day there could have been more spot kicks. There could also have been more goals. And defending a lead on a day like this one, there's always the threat of those chances coming at a cost.

But Sons showed why they deserved this. It is argued that their victory over United 21 years ago was a smash and grab. This wasn't. It is quite credible to say that from start to finish, they were the better side.

All that was hoped was that a response could be provided to last week's defeat to Dunfermline. However, Dumbarton, just as they did to Hibs and St Mirren twice each last season, sent the Arabs home empty handed.

And they also sent out a message to the doubters. Nobody knows what lies ahead over the remaining 34 Championship fixtures, except that Sons cannot be written off.

Not a lot happened in the first half. Indeed, the first near miss of any description came on 34 minutes. Cammy Smith made space on the edge of the area for United, but Alan Martin saved with ease.

Six minutes from half time a corner dropped to Buchanan in the area, but his shot was too high. Apart from that, and a Joe Thomson shot which was deflected wide, that was pretty much it.

Arguably Sons had come through their hardest spell, defending against the wind in the first half. Now they were attacking with it.

Within a minute of the restart Robert Thomson looked to be fouled a yard inside the area only for a free kick outside the box, which came to nothing, was awarded.

Soon after Ryan Stevenson's header was turned wide by the keeper low at his near post. The midfielder then sent in a 30-yard free kick which crashed off the bar.

But on 57 minutes Buchanan was impeded while chasing Stevenson's corner, and Docherty rolled up to score.

Now it was all about what resistance could be put up to United's inevitable response. Things were stable to begin with but on 68 minutes came a real scare.

The ball broke to Simon Murray, who broke through on goal, but sliced wide.

Soon after that, Alan Martin did brilliantly to save Jamie Robson's narrow angled effort. For arguably the first time in the day, Sons were under significant pressure, but saw things through.

A volley by Stevenson was punched away by the keeper before Murray beat two defenders in the area but shot over.

With minutes turning to hours, United had one last opportunity, but Martin was up to the test posed by Coll Donaldson's ferocious shot.

An excellent result was secure.

Match report by Andy Galloway

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info