Dumbarton 2 - 1 Stranraer 

Challenge Cup - 3rd Round
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 7:45 PM at YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium
Attendance: 494
Referee: Greg Aitken
Dumbarton v Stranraer, Oct 6th 2017, YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium
Dumbarton  Stranraer

Craig Barr (12)
Mark Stewart (65)
Chukwunweike Okoh (90)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken Stevie Farrell

Starting Eleven
Scott Gallacher
Craig Barr
Chris McLaughlin
Andy Dowie
Sam Wardrop
Dimitris Froxylias
Tom Walsh
Calum Gallagher
David Wilson
Kyle Hutton
Mark Stewart
Max Currie
Morgyn Neil
Scott Robertson
Liam Dickinson
Jamie Hamill
Ryan Thomson
Kyle Turner
Steven Bell
Grant Anderson
Scott Agnew
Paul Woods

Jamie Ewings
Dougie Hill
David Smith
Chris Johnston
Kyle Prior
Christian Nade
Ally Roy
Cameron Belford
Daniel Stoney
Chukwunweike Okoh
Cameron Elliott
David Barron
Chris McGowan
Tom Lang

Jamie Ewings for Scott Gallacher (32)
Christian Nade for Calum Gallagher (58)
Ally Roy for Mark Stewart (79)
Chukwunweike Okoh for Scott Agnew (73)
Daniel Stoney for Kyle Turner (75)
Cameron Elliott for Paul Woods (83)

Andy Dowie (80)
Dimitris Froxylias (90)
Scott Robertson (86)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Scott Gallacher (GK) 15 apps -
Craig Barr 13 apps2 goals
Chris McLaughlin 15 apps -
Andy Dowie 13 apps -
Sam Wardrop 11 apps1 goal
Dimitris Froxylias 6 apps3 goals
Tom Walsh 28 apps2 goals
Calum Gallagher 19 apps1 goal
David Wilson 15 apps1 goal
Kyle Hutton 11 apps -
Mark Stewart 12 apps3 goals
Jamie Ewings (sub) (GK) 79 apps -
Christian Nade (sub) 42 apps12 goals
Ally Roy (sub) 13 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Chris McLaughlin (19 years 203 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Dowie (34 years 204 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 186 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kyle Prior (18 years 42 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Dowie (34 years 204 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 321 days
Domestic Players:16 (88.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


PRIOR to this, Dumbarton hadn't beaten Stranraer, or reached the Irn Bru Cup last eight, since...Scotland were qualifying for playoffs.

While the national team waits to find out if it has ended a near 15-year exile, Sons have succeeded in breaking theirs.

The two goals which won this tie would have been scored in Kirkcaldy last season. Instead, Craig Barr and Mark Stewart put them away at the YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium to put Dumbarton in control.

With the game's last meaningful touch, Stephen Okoh got the goal for Stranraer which kept everything neat if nothing else. Four home games, four 2-1 victories.

Nobody would pretend that this was vintage stuff. However, Dumbarton are in the quarter finals of the competition known mostly down the years as the Challenge Cup.

Unless you were around the club in season 2002/03, you've never known that to happen before.

Unlike recent outings, the first half was the stronger of the two 45-minute periods. Sons started well, with Stewart playing in Calum Gallagher after an interception in midfield.

The opportunity looked good, but Gallagher was frustrated by the keeper at close range.

But on 12 minutes the scoring was opened by Barr, who slid home a low ball back from the goal line by David Wilson.

Within a further minute, Dimitris Froxylias was off target with another chance, before Paul Woods just missed the net for Stranraer from the edge of the area.

There then wasn't a great deal happening. Indeed, much of the subsequent attention was on an injury to keeper Scott Gallacher - and then a scare with his replacement.

Jamie Ewings was seen in competitive action for the first time since May 2016 when he replaced Gallacher after half an hour.

He then needed treatment early in the second half, but revealed later it was much ado about nothing and easily completed the match.

On 64 minutes things got going again, with Froxylias firing wide after turning a defender's challenge.

But a minute later, Tom Walsh took off down the left and sent over a cross which Stewart powerfully headed home.

A glancing header by Grant Anderson went wide as Stranraer looked for a way back, but an almost customary goal from Froxylias at home was still missing.

It looked like it would come on 81 minutes, when his shot was deflected towards goal, but Jamie Hamill scrambled it clear.

Stranraer ended the game strongly, with Scott Robertson heading a corner wide, but they did find the net from another corner with full time imminent.

Okoh got the final netbound touch in the goalmouth scramble which ensued from the set piece.

A clean sheet would have been good, but when it's your first time in the last eight of the Irn Bru Cup in so long, it has less impact.

The job had been done.

Match report by Andy Galloway

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet